Noise issue with SWA-9000s

lee989

Novice Member
Reaction score
Got an ms650 with the wireless rear speakers a few weeks back. Then had SKY Q installed last week. I have to have the soundbar on level 50 for the sky box, but around 25 for other devices.

I've noticed a weird noise coming through the rear speakers which sounds like interference during quiet parts of shows which is really annoying.

Doesn't happen if I switch the soundbar source to WiFi or BT. Also goes away if I mute it.

Currently connected via HDMI ARC if that makes difference.

Anyone experienced anything similar and have pointers on how to fix?

Does it only happen when using Sky Q or all sources? Try connecting the Sky box directly to the Soundbar rather than passing audio through the TV.

I have my old freeview recorder box plugged into the soundbar directly. I get a similar (but not exactly the same) interference noise from that. Albeit I do have to unplug the aerial and turn the volume up to test otherwise the audio from whatever channel it's on drowns out the noise (something which doesn't work so well on the sky box due to the lower volume output).

I'm going to try moving things around later. Like moving the wifi adapter from underneath the bar. It must be something to do with my setup like electrical cables too close to the wifi adapter (although I did put ferrite rings on every power cable to try and stop any issues).

I have my old freeview recorder box plugged into the soundbar directly. I get a similar (but not exactly the same) interference noise from that. Albeit I do have to unplug the aerial and turn the volume up to test otherwise the audio from whatever channel it's on drowns out the noise (something which doesn't work so well on the sky box due to the lower volume output).

I'm going to try moving things around later. Like moving the wifi adapter from underneath the bar. It must be something to do with my setup like electrical cables too close to the wifi adapter (although I did put ferrite rings on every power cable to try and stop any issues).

did you find a solution?

did you find a solution?

No it still does it. A handful of others have similar issue with it that they haven't solved it either (based on a quick google).

I've tried reseating cables, moving the wireless receiver and tested it on my UPS to make sure it's getting clean power supply. I've pretty much given up trying to fix it, whilst I do notice it sometimes, generally it's not an issue.

I have noticed clear voice mode is the worst for it (annoying since I bought it in the hope of boosting vocals).

If you happen to have more luck in resolving it, do let me know :p

I find it odd you have the level so high, with my sky q box 18 was a volume level I had on my ms650 and often my wife would complain it was loud. Have you checked what the sky q is set to output at? Make sure it's not on Dolby digital plus. That will definitely cause issues on the ms650.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_002116.jpg
    IMG_20200517_002116.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 38
I find it odd you have the level so high, with my sky q box 18 was a volume level I had on my ms650 and often my wife would complain it was loud. Have you checked what the sky q is set to output at? Make sure it's not on Dolby digital plus. That will definitely cause issues on the ms650.

Using the TV speakers we have had some programs we have to put volume to 80+ (i've even had it at 100 once). It's rare but has happened. On the soundbar we rarely go below 35 with SKY, but have gone over 60 (once again, rare we go that high, but it has happened). Its the same on the mini box upstairs, no soundbar on that TV but i have the TV noticeably higher for the mini box than I do for the firestick and other inputs.

Doing some general googling, there's a plethora of customers (joe public) complaining about the fixed output volume on the SKY boxes. I think it's partly channel or even program dependant too. The audio levels aren't normalised across everything as I do have to reach for the remote to turn it up or down a few times each evening.

My PS4 i'll rarely go above 10 (usually around 7). My old freeview box I sat comfortably in the 15-20 range. I'm not one of those that want to blast their eardrums out, I rarely go to the cinema because I find it too loud for comfort. In fact I find my friends and family TVs to be slightly louder than I like, so I don't think i'm asking anything too excessive based on a quick mental consensus.

I will check the DD+ setting to be sure, it's been a while since I checked but I remember spending days on google to no avail. It doesn't fix the core issue with the speakers, but it would mitigate it somewhat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom