Noise from roof bars.

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Rob8980, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Rob8980

Rob8980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    I have Thule square bars fitted to my car but have noticed the wind noise can be quite annoying. I know that Thule make different bars that are claimed to be quieter think there wing bars or aero bars.

Just wanted to see if anyone had experience of these and if there was a noticeable difference with wind noise.

Thanks.

2. MC77

MC77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I've got the wing bars, when I've got the bike rack on it and have some gaps where the rubber bits are removed for it and it can make a little noise when there are high winds. When the bars have their full rubber inserts, they are silent. Hope that helps

3. Rob8980

Rob8980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Sounds like that could be what I need then. My square bars make a constant noise above 40mph even without the roof box on.

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Is this roof bars added for roof boxes and other things? So not the front to back ones provided by the manufacturer quite often?

Is there a reason why these ones added for other things are not simply removed when not in use for carrying whatever it is that attaches to them?

They usually run across the roof and whether they are square or wing they affect the aerodynamics the manufacturer intended.

I think personally I would add them when I wanted to add the box or bike or skis or whatever. If they are a time consuming pain to put on and take off I presume I can look around for ones that are more suited.

5. Rob8980

Rob8980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    My car has integrated flush fitted roof rails and then Thule roof bars added to them. Ideally I should take them of when not in use but I probably use them once a month or so and it can be a bit time consuming taking them of storing them and then putting them on again.

If I could find some that do not make any noise then I would probably leave them on full time, my mileage is quite low so the increased fuel cost is negligible.

6. Showoff

Showoff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,106
    We have Whispbar Aero-X rail bars and I've left them on the car for long periods and don't even notice they are on. I believe they are the quietest bars available?