noise from macbook

fizzgog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi guys, every 10 seconds or so there is a "click" noise coming from my black macbook. it comes from beneath the keyboard on the right hand side? is that the hard-drive or super-drive? also is it anything to worry about.

one final question, how much fan noise in general can you hear from your macbook?

thanks for your input
pete

although i don't own a macbook book i'd instantly guess that there's something wrong with it. i'd get it back under the warranty and get it checked out... ive used many macbooks via work and ive never heard them 'click'

maybe the hard disc or some other moving part inside?

thanks for the replies.
i restarted my macbook and the clicking went away but i have heard it on two occasions since i bought it.

how do i go about sending it away under the warranty - i think that there will be a couple of problems, namely, i bought if from ebay not a shop and i have not got a receipt :eek: can i still get it fixed??

thanks again
pete

give apple a call and get them to check the serial number on it, they will then tell you if they can honour the warranty on it, if not i can't imagine its gonna cost you millions to get it repaired

good luck!

i phoned apple and they got me to remove the battery and press the power button for 5 seconds. i havent heard the clicking noise since but its early days. taking the battery out however has caused another problem :( .

the battery now does not want to charge. when i plug in the magsafe cable i only get a green light - not amber. this only began happening since i took the battery out. i tried putting the battery in a few times and it never made a difference. ...then....after a few hours the light went amber and it worked okay for a couple of days but today it isnt charging again.

any ideas what has happened and what i can do? im guessing at a loose connection but i was very very careful.

thanks
pete

Phone up Apple and give them ****. Removing a battery has nothing to do with a hard drive issue. Tell them that, and tell them you're still having issue with both the hard drive and battery. They need to be getting off their backsides and repairing it for you.

Removing a battery has nothing to do with a hard drive issue.

But resetting the PMU/SMC does and you have to remove the battery to do this.
Resetting the SMC on a macbook can sort out recharging issues (as well as power-up, sleep & spin down problems).

thanks for the input.
the guy on the phone did give me the details of my nearest reseller and told me to phone them if the hard drive problem comes back.

is this normal procedure?
cheers
pete

But resetting the PMU/SMC does and you have to remove the battery to do this.
Resetting the SMC on a macbook can sort out recharging issues (as well as power-up, sleep & spin down problems).

True, but please read my previous post re: this problem. Spin down is seperate to the head lock issue, hence why mine was repaired and OP should have the same done and not be fobbed off by Apple (he didn't have a recharge problem until removing the battery, either).

thanks for the input.
the guy on the phone did give me the details of my nearest reseller and told me to phone them if the hard drive problem comes back.

is this normal procedure?
cheers
pete

Pete,

Yes, I had the same - but I just called the reseller, who agreed the problem needed repairing. Not sure what they exactly did, but it's worked since!

i have emailed my local reseller and explained the situation and am awaiting a response from them. i must say that the clicking isnt so much of a problem now - it is still there occassionally but is much quieter. the battery problem is even more confusing. the battery refusing to charge up until the charge level goes below 95%. i am pretty sure that this wasnt the case originally. also, twice when plugging in the power supply, it has tripped my house's mains and all the electrics went off - very worrying.

i am still in dispute with the ebay seller - trying to find out where he bought it from.

i will let you know how i get on with the reseller.
thanks again
pete

The battery problem is even more confusing. the battery refusing to charge up until the charge level goes below 95%. i am pretty sure that this wasnt the case originally. also, twice when plugging in the power supply, it has tripped my house's mains and all the electrics went off - very worrying.

Are you saying the battery doesn't charge when it's already charged? This is a good thing. Many people leave their laptop plugged in like a desktop most of the time (including me until last year). Continuously trickle charging a lithium battery shortens its service life. Much better to stop charging at 100%, and not restart until until it's lost 5%.

Switchmode power adapters (present in practically all mains powered electronics) keep a large capacitor charged from the mains. When first plugged in, the mains is effectively short circuited until the capacitor charges up. A thermistor is used to limit the inrush current, but it's still pretty large for a few millionths of second. There will be a no more than two amp fuse inside the power adaptor (which isn't blowing, apparently), so it's your circuit breaker that is triggering within microseconds. It, presumably, is rated at something like 100Amps if it's the whole house one, and not just a ring main.

I'm not saying there definitely is nothing wrong with your power adaptor, but it seems more likely that it's an RCD that's tripping, and part of the inrush current is leaking to earth through slightly faulty house wiring.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom