1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise from Centre Speaker!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by eddiea, May 29, 2002.

1. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Monitor Audio Gold Centre speaker on top of my TV; it is biwired using Cord odyssey4 to a Denon AVC-A11SR.

I have noticed an annoying buzzing noise from it when the TV is on and the sound is muted or there is nothing playing, it even does it if the amp is off, I get no distortion on my TV screen.

This noise disappears if I disconnect the cable from the speaker, however, if I put the links onto the speaker terminals as you would if you were single wiring the noise returns, the noise is sill there even with no cable attached, if I remove the links and connect my biwire the noise also returns.

Seven Oaks have found that a Ruark centre also does this, they tell me Monitor Audio don’t know what is causing it, I don’t think it should make any noise before I play music through it, I feel like taking it back, but what do I change it for?

Can you all let me know if your centre speaker does this ?

Many thanks

Eddie:(

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

Its a weird one this.:confused:

A centre speaker shouldnt be buzzing at all, whether biwired, single wired, connected or not.

Something, somewhere is picking up interference, if you turn the TV off and the sound disappears it must be the TV.

I had a similar thing with a pair of headphones, but it was only when the TV was switched on, switch it off and the buzzing went.

It might be worth checking all the cabling, the RF cable to the TV etc

I dont know what else to suggest.:confused:

3. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase

That's the conclusion I originally came to, however it does it on both my TVs, a Sony and JVC also a Lowe TV in Sevenoaks.

What centre do you have Jase? Can you try it on top of a TV with the links in place or a biwire conected?

Regards

Eddie:)

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    My centre is a Kef THX (not biwireable) and is on top of the TV. My father has the Kef Model 100 on top of his tv and is single wired, it was originally biwired and didnt buzz then and doesnt buzz now.

Maybe there is a problem with the shielding of the speaker, small enough for it to pick up a buzz from the TV but not enough to cause the tv picture to play up??:confused:

Have you tried any other speaker?? Maybe SevenOaks will lend you one to try??

5. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Jase, I forgot to mention, Sevenoaks tried it with a Ruark, also the buzz is not very loud, it can be heard in a quiet room if you put an ear close to the speaker as you would using a quiet test on a setup CD or DVD.

Regards

Eddie:)

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Have you tried another centre speaker on your setup at home? Or taken your centre to Sevenoaks to see if it does it there?? Or was it the Ruark that was tested on your setup??

If another speaker has the same buzz on your setup then the problem is elsewhere. If it doesnt, then its definitely your centre speaker and should be replaced. At least you´ll know either way.

Little problems like these are a nightmare trying to ascertain which bit is actually playing up!!

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    You could swap over one of your other speakers (surrounds or fronts) see if one of them buzzes or not.