Node or new dac

juglandblues

I currently have a pi4 running moode into a dacmagic 100. Majority of my listening is either internet radio, tidal through a Chromecast audio or flac files on a NAS.

I have been swithering about splashing out on a node 2i so it could be a one box solution instead of changing inputs on the amp and the dac depending on what Im listening too. I like the idea of MQA and tidal connect. The nodes dac seems to be the weak point from different forums I have been looking at.

For the £450 it would cost, apart from it probably being more convenient would I notice an increase in sound quality. I'm pretty sure my amp and speakers can sound better, I'm just not sure how I can go about it.

Going Grey Now

from a previous thread, I seem to remember you were planning on buying a SPDIF HAT for the Pi. Did that happen?
How much input changing are you having to do?
You may recall that my setup is Pi4 with Allo Digione Signature HAT into a Schiit Modius DAC and then the amp.
I couldn’t be happier - at least not without hearing much more expensive kit which I couldn’t afford anyway.
Obviously if the one-box solution is the biggest draw, then I can understand that because the Pi, it’s case and associated paraphernalia isn‘t exactly the most elegant solution on the planet!
But for the “one-box” to be one box only then it means the internal DAC or the one inside your amp, if it has one.

juglandblues

I've tried an Allo Boss dac before, and also have a HiFiBerry Digi+Pro hat on my pi but ended up just connecting to the dac with usb.

Ideally I would like to get away from pi software at some point. Volumio and moode are amazing and even more so because they are free for anyone to use, but I find them a bit clunky. The problem I have with moode at the moment is that I can't update my Nas, it won't find the new music I have added and it also won't let me unmount the source as a last effort. Theres no back up which means I would need to reinstall it to the SD card and start again.

I might give volumio another go and see what the new tidal connect is like on it. It's a bit of a rabbit hole you end up going down and your never 100% happy and always looking for the next improvement

Going Grey Now

Sorry I can’t help with Moode and a NAS as my setup relies on all my music being on a 128Gb USB stick. might the Moode forum be of any help?

I know what you mean about the rabbit hole which I’ve found myself disappearing down several times over the last couple of years. After swapping DACs 6 times, I’m now trying to settle down a bit and am telling myself to be happy with what I’ve got for the next few months at least. I need to be enjoying my music rather than fretting over the next upgrade.

I’ve previously had the same type of GAS with camera lenses but fortunately that has settled down somewhat!!

happycamper515

If pi software is not to your liking then the new Bluesound Node should have better software integration. If you're not going to use the internal dac then the older model Node 2i can save a few bucks.

nomorelandings

If pi software is not to your liking then the new Bluesound Node should have better software integration. If you're not going to use the internal dac then the older model Node 2i can save a few bucks.
agree. I have not heard the 2i or any other DACs mentioned, but after several weeks, the new Node continues to impress. Bought to experience Radio Paradise’s MQA stream, the soundstage, detail and resolution are a step up from the FLac/alac stream to my ears. Bodes well for Tidal, which I no longer subscribe to. Listening to Qobuz hi res, it differs a little in presentation from my TEAC, but imho excellent at its price point. The BlueOS is superb. I now have the option of Amazon Hi Res which I will try soon.

juglandblues

I doubt I would pay £450 just because the software and interface is good. It would need to be a one box solution for that much and not needing to think about a separate dac.

I am giving volumio another try now they have got tidal connect and it seems good so far. I have installed the radio paradise plug-in and that seems to be working well.

darrenhaken

I doubt I would pay £450 just because the software and interface is good. It would need to be a one box solution for that much and not needing to think about a separate dac.

I am giving volumio another try now they have got tidal connect and it seems good so far. I have installed the radio paradise plug-in and that seems to be working well.
Are there any free options to get tidal connect or do you have to pay the yearly Volumio subscription?

juglandblues

Are there any free options to get tidal connect or do you have to pay the yearly Volumio subscription?
Just seen this now. You have to pay about £25 a year to get the tidal connect feature.

Volumio has been doing my box in though for the last few days. Never seems to go more than a day or 2 before it needs a reboot, which can corrupt files and make it worse, even though when it freezes there's no option but to switch it off at the wall. I've wrote it onto another SD card and will see how it goes.

darrenhaken

Just seen this now. You have to pay about £25 a year to get the tidal connect feature.

Volumio has been doing my box in though for the last few days. Never seems to go more than a day or 2 before it needs a reboot, which can corrupt files and make it worse, even though when it freezes there's no option but to switch it off at the wall. I've wrote it onto another SD card and will see how it goes.
So it's been a bit buggy for you?

I've ended up buying a used bluesound node 2i instead. With the Pi I'd decided I wanted to use an external DAC (Schiit) so I can use it beyond the Pi if I wanted to.

However, once I'd priced that up with the Pi, subscription etc it was about £230. I got a Node for a little more.

juglandblues

So it's been a bit buggy for you?

I've ended up buying a used bluesound node 2i instead. With the Pi I'd decided I wanted to use an external DAC (Schiit) so I can use it beyond the Pi if I wanted to.

However, once I'd priced that up with the Pi, subscription etc it was about £230. I got a Node for a little more.
Sounds like you got a great deal on youre node. Volumio seems to have been playing up since the last update. It also could be a few things supposedly, power supply or even the brand of SD card you use. For the money I've spent on it it's great though.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom