• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Noddy PS3 Questions - Answers Needed

J90RDN

Established Member
Hi

Have purposly ignored the PS3 since it's launch as without GT5 the PS3 didn't really do anything I wanted that a 360 couldn't do, but now obviously all that has changed!!! So

Are there any differences between all the different versions, aside from one being fat, one being slim, and the miriad of different hard disk options? All I will be after is a PS3 to play GT5, nothing more. I'd like to hook it up to the internet for online gaming and updates. It would be useful to play old PS2 games on it, but not essential as I don't mind keeping the PS2 hooked up if needed. It would also be nice to hook up a wheel of some description.

I've made the assumption all PS3's are HDMI?

Also, if buying second hand, what are the major problems (i.e. 3ROD equivalent) and are there any tell tail signs to avoid?

I'm not going to hack it, so not too bothered about firmware versions etc.

Also, can the old DVD remote for the PS2 be used on a PS3?

Some general advice would be grand.

Thanks

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Hi

Have purposly ignored the PS3 since it's launch as without GT5 the PS3 didn't really do anything I wanted that a 360 couldn't do, but now obviously all that has changed!!! So

Are there any differences between all the different versions, aside from one being fat, one being slim, and the miriad of different hard disk options? All I will be after is a PS3 to play GT5, nothing more. I'd like to hook it up to the internet for online gaming and updates. It would be useful to play old PS2 games on it, but not essential as I don't mind keeping the PS2 hooked up if needed. It would also be nice to hook up a wheel of some description.

IMO, A slim is a slim, and they are mostly all from the latest CECH-2500 series with 160GB and 320GB hard drives in them, that would be the ones you would get.
All come with standard 12 months warranty, so there's not really anything between them, unless you are completely anal about it all, requiring slightly less noise or less power or less whatever, but in reality, they all do the same job, it's just the size of the hard drive that differs, and in most cases, the bigger the better(GT5 has a 10 gig install, and some games install anything up to or beyond 5gig of data)

As for ps2 playback, the slim's won't play ps2 games, only ps1, so you will need the ps2 hooked up still.
Only the older original models had ps2 compatibility.

As to a wheel, the PS3 Racing Games section, here!, has a lot of posts on which wheel to buy, so I would start there, and also the GT5 forum here!, also.

I've made the assumption all PS3's are HDMI?

Yes, but you can also use a ps2/ps3 component lead, or the standard non HD composite lead that is supplied in the box(but the quality is rubbish)
You can get a decent hdmi lead from poundland, for a quid, and as there is no difference from cheap to expensive cables, as long as it works, they are all the same.

Also, if buying second hand, what are the major problems (i.e. 3ROD equivalent) and are there any tell tail signs to avoid?

Things to avoid, with pre-owned, is pre-owned..I wouldn't trust a second hand ps3, or any console that's laser based, best buy new.

I'm not going to hack it, so not too bothered about firmware versions etc.

When you switch on the ps3, and put all your details in for PSN, you will be prompted to download, at the moment, system software 3.50, and that's needed for playing GT5.

Also, can the old DVD remote for the PS2 be used on a PS3?

No, either use the pad, the PS3 blu-ray remote, or another 3rd party remote.

Some general advice would be grand.

Thanks

Answer's in BOLD

J90RDN

Established Member
Thanks - that's about what I thought, in that all PS3's are more or less equal, apart from the hard disks.

I would normally buy new, but £280 just to play one game is a little hard to justify to myself, let alone anyone else. I don't even need it as a blue-ray player.

Mr. Fred

Established Member
Thanks - that's about what I thought, in that all PS3's are more or less equal, apart from the hard disks.

I would normally buy new, but £280 just to play one game is a little hard to justify to myself, let alone anyone else. I don't even need it as a blue-ray player.

There are many fantastic exclusives that have been out a while that you'll be able to pick up on the cheap now.

Also works as an excellent media centre. Go on, treat yourself otherwise Rotten Fox has written reams for no reason! Haha

lee667

Distinguished Member
sainsburys are doing 160gb slims for £199. think the offer runs until the 2nd dec

PhilipPhilop

Established Member

The only other difference than what has already been advised is that the original phat 60GB models have more USB slots (later revisions of phats, & all slims have just 2), & the card readers for getting pictures off cameras & what not.

If you are thinking of buying 2nd hand, I would avoid the original 60GB model. It's technically a better model due to the full PS2 compatibility, extra USB's etc etc, but it's also the model that gets the YLOD most often due to the fact that there's more stuff inside & it runs hotter than later models. You do find that there's some old 60GB's that have had YLOD, & being "home repaired" by means of a hair dryer, or oven etc. These may have been traded in for a slim as "working", & ended up for resale, & may not actually last too long before going kaput again.

I'd either stump for a non PS2 backwards compatible phat. Say the 40 or 80GB one, or any slim should be fine. Some people have complained about the fan noise on the early slims being a bit whiny, but I have no knowledge of this, as I got my 80GB phat in late 2008 & it's been problem free ever since.

Last edited:

J90RDN

Established Member
Go on, treat yourself otherwise Rotten Fox has written reams for no reason! Haha

LOL - Nothing like peer pressure - not sure that one will wash with the wifee though!!

This is all fantastic advice, so will start looking at new and 2nd hand prices, although there doesn't seem to be much difference atm, so will probably just go the new route for piece of mind. :thumbsup:

Thanks all

Steven

Senior Moderator

RottenFox

Distinguished Member

J90RDN

Established Member
Quick update. Tried a second hand 60GB (I know, I know, totally against others advice) which had the YLOD. Brought from this forum. Tried the heatgun method to fix, didn;t work and ended up with the main processor chip becoming dislodged!! Managed to sell all the seperate parts on ebay and recover the cost. Have now ordered a new slim 250GB from GAME, and awaiting delivery. Actually going to use it for more than I originally thought, i.e. a blueray player and games console, plus got a great deal at GAME of £168!!!

Thanks for all the great advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom