Noctua NF-A14 industrialppc-3000 PWM – Case Fan 12 volt

avfrms5032

Noctua NF-A14 industrialppc-3000 PWM - Case Fan (6.6 V, 14 cm, Black and Brown: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I recently put 4 of these Noctua NF-A14 industrialppc-3000 PWM 12 volt ( i nearly made the mistake of getting the 24 volt )
in my PC. The case is a fractal define R5.
I wanted to share the results for anyone having cooling problems.

Powerful - yeh I'll say, but loud, very loud. My PC's in the next room though.
If my PC was in the room my TV is in, the noise would be way too much.

These fans are decisive, others that i've used are by comparison just messing about.

### Watch your fingers if your handling the fan whilst its running - they are very powerful ###

The sheer scale of airflow and pressure is massive compared to other fans.
I have 2 at the front and 1 on the bottom grill of my Fractal Define R5.

Having the fourth on the grill of the left side panel of PC case produced a high pitched whine like a hedge trimmer,
I couldn't overcome or deaden the noise and even though my PC is in the next room it was way too loud. So I had to move it.

- My PSU is upside down so its fan is pointing downwards through the bottom case grill and positioned at the back of the case.
- the fourth NF A14 3000 12 volt is now on top of the PSU blowing up onto the GPU - GTX 980 ti
- the fan is angled upwards about 35 degrees - with the highest point resting against the back of the case
- held in place by tough chord with which is tied to 2 places on the back of the case grill and 2 other places in the bottom grill.
- the sheer cooling power of this is staggering
- dragons dogma at 3840 x 2160 with every graphics setting on max rarelys goes above 50 c and much of the time is only 35 c

The 2 front fans blowing towards the back with number 3 blowing from the bottom of the case forward of the PSU and number 4 at the 35 degree angle
on top of the PSU blowing forward and up, all meet just at the forward edge of the GPU.
And so roll over the top of the card and onto the upper motherboard/cpu region and then out the top and back
- top 2 x corsair af 140, back 1 x corsair af 140.

Its the best air flow system I've had, no interuption from the sides with the front to back air flow.
In the past I've always had a side fan or 2, and always felt there was something wrong with that setup.

The power of air pressure coming out the top and the upper back is significantly more, I'm hoping this will help with dust also.

They really are a superb buy - terrific value for money.

The GPU idle is 30 c it used to be 40 c not that that matters, it's the temps whilst gaming that matter, now significantly lower.
But my concern is the constant pressure blowing on my GPU, will it do more harm than good.

All thoughts and observations welcome.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Powerful - yeh I'll say, but loud, very loud.

And those are fairly modest server fans. Server fan ranges from the more established manufacturers include some utterly ridiculous models. Fancy a 6500rpm, 12V 140mm fan with five times the air pressure and a 50W power draw?

Delta's PFM1412DEB7V will fit the bill.

They're also great for drowning out the noise of a jet engine.

Delta Fan Business Group

avfrms5032

And those are fairly modest server fans. Server fan ranges from the more established manufacturers include some utterly ridiculous models. Fancy a 6500rpm, 12V 140mm fan with five times the air pressure and a 50W power draw?

Delta's PFM1412DEB7V will fit the bill.

They're also great for drowning out the noise of a jet engine.

Delta Fan Business Group

Thanks
I didn't realise they were server fans.
6500rpm ! i think my PC would fly :clap:

FaxFan2002

I think the question I'd look to answer is - did you have thermal throttling issues that needed addressing? A few monitoring tools should have confirmed this.

Not sure about the 35 degree fan, the idea is either to drag in cooler air or push out hot air.

It sounds like your pulling in cool air from the front (and bottom to a degree) and pushing out the back and top?

avfrms5032

I think the question I'd look to answer is - did you have thermal throttling issues that needed addressing? A few monitoring tools should have confirmed this.

Not sure about the 35 degree fan, the idea is either to drag in cooler air or push out hot air.

It sounds like your pulling in cool air from the front (and bottom to a degree) and pushing out the back and top?

Yes the fans suck in air at one or more places and the air leaves in one or more places, and what .. ?the air flow route is much better as theres no oblique side fan spoiling the route, the 35 degree fan is way more effective than vertical or horizontal but because of where it is, for instance i wouldn't put the front fans at 35 degree

Last edited:

FaxFan2002

Yes the fans suck in air at one or more places and the air leaves in one or more places, and what .. ?the air flow route is much better as theres no oblique side fan spoiling the route, the 35 degree fan is way more effective than vertical or horizontal but because of where it is, for instance i wouldn't put the front fans at 35 degree

Well the 35 degree fan does neither, right? Just blowing air around in the case. Just seems very odd and something I've never heard of seen before - though I must admit to not actually looking for it.

avfrms5032

Well the 35 degree fan does neither, right? Just blowing air around in the case. Just seems very odd and something I've never heard of seen before - though I must admit to not actually looking for it.

What are you on about "just blowing air around in the case" - your just giving an uninformed opinion just for the sake of it, the 3000 rpm fan at 35 degree is superb, with no side fan the air flow is great.

FaxFan2002

Blimey mate, you said - "All thoughts and observations welcome". If you didn't want any then don't post that.

My observation - You have a fan at angle on top of a potentially hot component, blowing air onto another component that generates heat. Seemingly blowing hot air around the case.

My thought - would be to move the fan to the bottom of the case to drag in cooler air if it fits failing that use it as an exhaust fan somewhere.

Uninformed - show me ANYONE who recommends doing what you have done with the fan on the PSU.

avfrms5032

Blimey mate, you said - "All thoughts and observations welcome". If you didn't want any then don't post that.

My observation - You have a fan at angle on top of a potentially hot component, blowing air onto another component that generates heat. Seemingly blowing hot air around the case.

My thought - would be to move the fan to the bottom of the case to drag in cooler air if it fits failing that use it as an exhaust fan somewhere.

Uninformed - show me ANYONE who recommends doing what you have done with the fan on the PSU.

your just talking nonsense for no sake, maybe your feeling a bit over excited
this is what i hate about forums when people like you just look to argue spuriously just because you have nothing else to do

so first my PSU never gets hot - it's a good PSU
so i'm not blowing hot air onto another component - this is where you show your ignorance by just posting the first thing that comes into your head
the air coming in over the PSU isn't hot
i have exhaust fans and they work better now
your uninformed because you cant see or hear whats said, GPU temps are well down - thats that

and
"All thoughts and observations welcome" doesn't include wanting a bit of vicarious pleasure by being argumentative
it works very well - now dont troll me

Last edited:

FaxFan2002

Look if your happy with it then great, just giving some thoughts and observations on your setup, as per your request. Enjoy your setup!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom