Nobody wants to sell me a tab tensioned screen!

stainless-steel

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my screen as part of a move to a 2,35:1 setup, the two most promising candidates for the screen so far are Grandview and Beamax.

I’ve been trying to get a quote for a Grandview screen first as I’ve got a good idea how much Beamax are charging for the size I’m interested in. The Grandview screen looks in principal to be a good buy for the price, however over the last three weeks I've contacted the distributor and three major dealers (who will remain nameless for now!) for a quote on an electric 120" to 130" 2,35:1 tab tensioned screen.
The result, nothing. A couple of replies saying they’ll get back to me then silence. Nobody seems particularly interested. Which does surprise me a bit in these troubled financial times!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a Grandview screen dealer? Ideally one that actually sells to customers.:facepalm:

Thanks.

sea surfer

Distinguished Member

sea surfer

Distinguished Member
stainless-steel said:
Thanks for the link, I've dropped them a line. Fingers crossed.

Any luck?

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Do you mind me asking what type of room this screen is going in, and also what pj you will be using?

stainless-steel

Ideal AV said:
Do you mind me asking what type of room this screen is going in, and also what pj you will be using?

Sure, it'll be going in the living room, approx 19'x19'. Viewing distance is around 17-18'. I use some light control today, dark curtains to the right and a removable black drape on the left.
The plan is to construct a pelmet for the screen that will have full height black curtains that can be extended about 6' to 8' into the room when the pj is in use. The move to 2,35:1 is part or a makeover for the room to better integrate all the kit so it's hidden away when not in use and provides a decent degree of light control when I'm watching a film.

The current pj is a Sony hw10. That'll be staying for another couple of years.

pcavelle

I may be selling a large Screenline Copernico in the very near future, probably via the classifieds here.

You can see the screens on the Into AV website, which is who I bought it from. Its a tab tension multi format screen, either 130" or 140" (need to check), with 16:9, 2.35:1, 1.85:1 - its quite a piece of work. Its a really decent screen, best I've owned, so am a bit gutted to have to sell it but am moving into rented accomodation where I won't be able to mount it.

If you're interested let me know & I will post a classified ad.

Paul

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Sure, it'll be going in the living room, approx 19'x19'. Viewing distance is around 17-18'. I use some light control today, dark curtains to the right and a removable black drape on the left.
The plan is to construct a pelmet for the screen that will have full height black curtains that can be extended about 6' to 8' into the room when the pj is in use. The move to 2,35:1 is part or a makeover for the room to better integrate all the kit so it's hidden away when not in use and provides a decent degree of light control when I'm watching a film.

The current pj is a Sony hw10. That'll be staying for another couple of years.

the curtains will help enormously from side wall reflections, what about the ceiling as that is usually the worst reflective surface to wash out image contrast. :(

stainless-steel

Ceiling reflections are going to be a bit of an issue, I was planning to have the screen as low as practical to try and increase the distance from the screen to ceiling as it's a lot easier to put a rug on the floor in front of the screen than start faffing around with ceiling coverings.
I'd like a walnut floor which will help, but having moved from my last house, which had a wood floor, to my current house which is carpeted I was astounded how good the speakers sounded once I'd set them up in a carpeted room - particularly the centre which is only about 400mm off the floor. I'm not sure I'll go for a wood floor again, even though I prefer the look. It's all going to take a bit of chin scratching and planning to ensure I don't fundamentally compromise either the sound or vision whilst achieving the look I'm after.

stainless-steel

Thanks Allan,

I contacted Beamax earlier in the week and Otto replied within a matter hours, he hasn't got back to me since Wednesday regarding delivery times and black border drop heights though.:confused:

If you could quote me for a screen with a viewable width of as close to 3m a possible that would be great.
You certainly deserve credit as the only dealer out of the five I've been in contact with so far that really seems to want to sell his products!:)

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Hi

if you can email me please so we don`t conduct any business on the forum i`d appreciate it.

all details found below :smashin:

stainless-steel

Thought I'd post an update to this thread.

I paid pcavelle (really nice guy and a serious audiophile) a visit to check out his Screenline Copernico, it was, and is, absolutely fantastic. 49 square feet of pancake flat variable format electric screen.
Needless to say I bought it and it's now hanging from my living room ceiling.

Having gone down the CIW route to achieve as big a 2,35:1 screen as I could accommodate I'm confident I made the right decision, i.e. not to go down the CIH & lens route.
Image brightness is not an issue, I only have the iris of my pj 40% open, so there is no argument for needing the additional brightness of the full chip, subtitles aren't an issue as I can simply increase the screen height to make them visible – something particularly important to me as I watch a good number of subtitled films, and I didn't need to buy a lens or scaler, or a blu-ray player with subtitle shift capability, and I don't even have to mess around with zooming or lens shift when I watch differing aspect ratios - it just takes one press of the screen's remote, 5 seconds for the screen to reformat and it's done.

If anyone else is thinking of getting a lens and scaler to achieve a 2,35:1 set up I’d strongly suggest investigating CIW and a variable aspect screen. It’s simple, effective and future proof. The only drawback I can think of is that you don’t get to spend hours and hours mulling over all the ins and outs of a CIH setup, something I think we all love to do – think about lovely kit.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom