1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Xbox price drop in US

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by amsjrt, Sep 25, 2003.

1. amsjrt

amsjrt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Xbox price drop in US

[25/09/2003: 17:48]
    Contrary to gaming press speculation, Microsoft have no plans to cut the price of Xbox

Just before Microsoft's recent press event X03, speculation was rife concerning a significant price drop for Xbox. Yesterday's announcement by Nintendo of America that the price of a Gamecube was being slashed has spurred Microsoft to respond. However, it's not exactly what we were hoping for...

Microsoft in the US have made a statement to the effect that their pricing structure for Xbox would not imitate that of Gamecube. However, they made it clear that they would respond to any price cut in Sony's market leading PS2.

In short, that means don't expect Xbox to retail for any less than its current price unless Sony reduce the cost of PS2. Which pretty much rules out any price war pre-emptive strike from Microsoft.

Oh bugger...

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They really cant slash any more off the XBOX there losses on the console are rediculous, reducing even further would be just stupid,

i think gamecube could really fly this XMAS not only is it seeing a $99 Price Cut (About £79) but there are some amazing games this Holiday season coming out

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Developers abandoning the Gamecube could hurt sales from buyers who are "in the know". But that shouldn't hurt Xmas sales that much, because so many of them will be bought as gifts.

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think that will efect sales whatsoever, all the developers mentioned dont jump out at you and say what a huge loss they just realise crap games dont sell on the cube like they do on other consoles so they need to cut there losses as they have not got the time to make AAA titles

The games been cancelled are not exclusives there just multi format games and apart from Soul Calibre (Exclusive Link) then people would just buy the PS2 Versin of a multi game if they have a PS2, it will be the exclusives that will sell the console abd boy does the gamecube have plenty of them already and coming this xmas.

The cube has had 6 MORE Million seller games than the XBOX that shows Great games do sell, Soul Calibre 2 on GC has outsold PS2 and XBOX versions by 3:2 that shows Multi format games will sell if they have an incentive to buy the cube version.

But your right as well GET BUYING THOSE CUBE PRESENTS :)

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    Of course it will affect sales - as will the news that Nintendo are freezing manufacturing of the Cube.

It can't do anything but affect sales. Not all buyers are as knowledgeable as us - there may be plenty of AAA titles on the GC, but all they can see is that its no longer being manufactured, and publishers are stopping developing for it.

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have halted Production not stopped, and its funny that sales are increasing on the cube which would put your comment in the useless catergory really :)

i find it absolutely amazing how everyone constantly bashes the cubes sales and says how terrible they are etc BUT in last weeks reports it states the cube has STILL sold more than XBOX worldwide, now if the cube has sold badly what does that say about XBOX? its completely crazy, everybody jumps on Nintendos back and completely forgets about the ever failing XBOX and i say failing because they are losing millions the cube while sales could be better is still turning a profit

The problem is even the smallest news about Nintendo gets completely blown up to a major crisis, loads of companies halt production when they realise they have not met all there targets and want to clear stock its no big deal but when its Nintendo Its "WOW HOLY CRAP they are finished they have halted production they are bankrupt" its so pathetic it makes me laugh when people go on about it.

now if Gamecube was losing Millions and Millions of Pounds it would be All over the net like nothing you have ever seen before but as its XBOX its not even publicised, i wouldn;t be surprised if MS used all there money to get these pathetic overblown stories on the net to be onest

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant find the official Report of the recent sales figures i read it on Teletext but click the link below for a yahoo news story who also used the latest sales figures.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030925/ap_en_ot/nintendo_gamecube_2

"Nintendo has sold roughly 5.5 million GameCubes in North America since its launch in November 2001 and about 10 million worldwide. Microsoft has sold about 6.2 million Xboxes in North America and 9.4 million worldwide. "

And The reason they HALTED production as i said

"But overall, sales have not been as strong this year as Nintendo hoped, and its parent company, Nintendo Corp. in Tokyo, said in August it would temporarily halt production of GameCubes to reduce inventory."

So as you can see Nintendo's sales are not as expected but still higher than XBOX,

so for all the busines people out there would you rather

Sell 10 Million Consoles All At A Profit
    or
    Sell 9.4 Million Consoles All At Heavy Loss

Who is in the better situation coming into Christmas? Gamcube with a masisve amount of quality titles Mostly Exclusive AAA games and with a great pricepoint of 99$ (or Around £79 in U.K)or XBOX? Taking into account at $99 the cube still turns a profit

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we touched a nerve. ;)

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope just trying to inform uninformed people, thats the problem with alot of forums people who know nothing post about rubbish (Alot of The Time) not saying all the time :)

BUT saying that i do admit it does annoy me when people state how badly the cube is doing and how much of a failer it is compared to XBOX etc when the figures are there to show otherwise

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody said anything about Nintendo going bust, the Gamecube being scrapped, or the XBox outselling it. We merely said that the loss of developers would affect Xmas sales. And it will.

I have no idea how much it will affect sales, but there are sure to be some people who will see the news and go for a PS2 or XBox instead.

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No admittadbly i basically rsponded to more than 1 post here as theres been alot of people saying those things on this forums and elsewhere

But i Personly dont think it will efect sales 1 bit firstly my mates who have a gamecube did not even know anything about it and i can bet that goes for many potential buyers as well, and 2 people will buy a console on specific games alone, just like people would buy a PS2 to play GTA people will buy a gamecube for Nintendo games, or Resident Evil, or Metroid or 1080 or other games which are exclusive which they have seen on gameshows, magazines etc etc

12. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    Now now, calm down. Here you go, lets put your toys back in your pram. :D

Did I say that Gamecube production had been stopped? No, I said it had been frozen. Read back to what I said.

Did I mention anything about the Xbox? Comparative sales figures mean squat. All I said is that this would affect Cube sales. This doesn't mean that sales won't rise. It does mean that they won't rise as fast as they would otherwise have done.

See the difference?

Please feel free to explain exactly how publishers withdrawing from the Cube market, and Nintendo freezing production can do anything other than deter some types of buyer. Lets have an discussion on the point that was made, rather than bringing in all sorts of crap on comparisons with the XBox and how profitable Nintendo might be.

Now take a deep breath, and count to ten before you post again.

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you not read my last post, i want to respond to alot of people on this board who have posted about gamecubes death etc not just the thread,

the original topic cant go anywhere, XBOX not dropping price ok well so what?

If i was getting really wound up you would know about it and i would not be using smiley faces so no need for the pram rubbish.

and thats ur oppinion that sales figures will not rise as fast its not fact, most people wont care and those which do will probably see passed it to get a bargain,

14. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    I didn't see your previous post as you must have posted it in between me pressing "reply" and my finally submitting my post.

With regards to the pram rubbish and smileys. If you look just to the right of the word pram, you will see a smiley. Sorry if you didn't see the funny side - thats the problems with BBs, humour doesn't always translate too well. I apologise for any offence caused.

Of course its my opinion on Cube sales and the impact of publishers withdrawing & freezing production. But I think history will show I'm more likely to be right. Did Saturn/Dreamcast/N64/etc sales rise when publishers started cancelling games?

15. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant comment on saturn and dreamcast, but the N64 never any anywhere NEAR as much 3rd party support as the cube has from start to its finish because of the cart format,

So when N64 games were cancelled it had nothing to carry it, but with the Cube it has support from the best 3rd party manufactuers which will more than carry it through

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Guys guys....

It seems betamac that you need a chill pill. Stop being such a fanboy and being so defensive ;)

I'm sure all consoles have their good and bad points. You obviously love you gamecube. Why should you care what anyone else says about it?

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The only company that has won or is winning any console "war" is Sony.

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here goes the old fanboy name calling all i have done is state facts why am i a fanboy, i have played PS2 loads and think its great, its so funny when people have nothing else to say other than call people fanboys how about adding to the thread with some decent comments

BTW arguing comments with FACTS is not being a fanboy.

19. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Okies, I think this conversation is going nowhere. I am happy if someone wants to contribute any interesting information to this thread. However, if the posts continue to devolve then I will be forced to lock this thread.

Lets all take a few deep breaths :)

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I don't understand why console preference is such a volatile subject. I own an xbox, but paradoxically, or hypocritically i dislike microsoft. So i hope they lose lots of money on their xbox. Which i imagine they would as it is the most technically advanced. The main reason i got my xbox was because of the price. It was either xbox or gamecube. I didn't want a ps2 coz i have a dreamcast and there is little graphical difference. The gamecube doesn't support online play which i love, but i'm sure it's a great little machine for lots of other reasons.

But the main thing is that everyone responds to what sony does which is funny as they charge the most out of any console for what should be the cheapest machine to produce because of it's dated components and high production rates.

I have no real preference, and i feel a loyalty only to sega, as they have produced consistently the best games over the last 7 years or so in my opinion :)

21. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm like that too. A company's worst nightmare: a consumer with zero brand loyalty. I hate MS as much as the rest of them, and bought the XBox because it was value for money and (IMO) the PS2 and Gamecube weren't. If the PS3 or Cube2 is the best console of the next brand of systems, I'll happily buy one.

Gang mentality in consumer goods is found all over the place. Just look at car brands and the loyalty they inspire. Many people want to be part of a gang, be it through what they buy, what movies they like, or what clothes they wear. I've never understood it myself, but it's certainly not uncommon.