1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no widescreen tv for world cup!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gbmitie, May 28, 2002.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That article contradicts the articles posted on the other thread in progress on the same subject,

There is a widescreen PAL feed available but it has not been chosen by the UK broadcasters. Probably because there is no 4:3 or 14:9 protected frame.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why glad?? You can still watch the World Cup on a widescreen TV, it just won't be in widescreen!!

I can't believe that you were ONLY going to buy a widescreen TV for the World Cup!! :eek: Not only that, but that you're going to wait another 4 years now just because of that!! :eek:

Don't you want to use a widescreen TV for other things - like widescreen TV shows, anamorphic DVDs and other wonderful things??? :confused:

4. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hopefully in 4 years time all the current glitches with widescreen TV's, as evidenced on this forum, will be sorted and the availability of widescreen programmes will have become widespread. Of course if things get better sooner then I will get a widescreen tv.

gbmitie

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough. I wouldn't hold your breath about the glitches improving *that* much though, unfortunately.

What is more worth waiting for is that plasma screens will come down to more affordable prices in 4 years IMO. So you may never own a widescreen TV (as such) after all ;)

The vast majority of BBC programming on digital terrestrial is widescreen :D

6. nickf

nickf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but they have an annoying habit of broadcasting non-widescreen pictures in anamorphic widescreen, with a BBC Sport background (like slowly waving cloth) to the left and right - so you can't even stretch or zoom the picture. :(

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't noticed it that much (but I don't watch that much sport). ITV Sport used to do that as well. I hope the Beeb don't do it during the World Cup :rolleyes:

At least all the drama, comedy, etc (and most films) are in full anamorphic widescreen :D

8. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Now that is a good idea, plasma may be within range in 4 years time.

gbmitie