No Volume control on HDMI ARC on 50PUS7334

Daaave

Novice Member
Has anybody managed to get HDMI ARC working with the TV remote controlling the volume on a 50PUS7734 (or any other philipps tv). ?
I have mine connected to an HDMI ARC adapter with the output to a powered speaker. I get audio but the TV volume controls do not work. Not sure if the issue is with the useless phillips TV or the cheap HDMI ARC adapter. (If only the TV controlled the headphone audio out volume I wouldn't need the ARC adapter).

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If your powered speakers have RCA Phono inputs or a 3.5mm Aux you can connect the TV's headphone out and there is a headphone volume control in the TV's sound settings.

AVtest

Has anybody managed to get HDMI ARC working with the TV remote controlling the volume on a 50PUS7734 (or any other philipps tv). ?
I have mine connected to an HDMI ARC adapter with the output to a powered speaker. I get audio but the TV volume controls do not work. Not sure if the issue is with the useless phillips TV or the cheap HDMI ARC adapter. (If only the TV controlled the headphone audio out volume I wouldn't need the ARC adapter).
Have you enabled easylink and all other hdmi features? Does speaker/adapter support volume control over hdmi? Can you provide more details on equipment used.
Stupid thing with philips that there is no OSD once external speakers connected! So maybe it does control volume of your speaker just very little steps (I have like to press 4 times volume up till get some increase)

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Normally with ARC the volume control will be passed to the connected device to control its own volume, it will not manipulate the digital signal. As the ARC adapter won't have this feature you would not expect it to work.

Daaave

Novice Member
AVTest, you are right, the OSD doesn't show the volume bar and the volume increments are small. I found setting a higher volume on the active speaker makes the volume increment larger and usable. At least now I can bypass the awful built in speakers that vibrate and rattle.
Thanks for your help.

AVtest

AVTest, you are right, the OSD doesn't show the volume bar and the volume increments are small. I found setting a higher volume on the active speaker makes the volume increment larger and usable. At least now I can bypass the awful built in speakers that vibrate and rattle.
Thanks for your help.
Philips tv's are most frustrating I ever owned, I am sure who ever writes firmware never tested it and has no clue how to make user experience better! I complained about OSD to philips 2 years ago! Philips has long way to go yet to understand that small improvements could mean a lot to user...
Glad you got it working:thumbsup:
On side note be careful if adapter goes to sleep as tv would switch to internal speakers and volume could be different... Not nice experience if you try to watch something at night and wake up toddler :rotfl: As example tv does not keep live my philips soundbar (what an irony) if stay for too long browsing on apps with no sound.

Daaave

Novice Member
Philips tv's are most frustrating I ever owned, I am sure who ever writes firmware never tested it and has no clue how to make user experience better! I complained about OSD to philips 2 years ago! Philips has long way to go yet to understand that small improvements could mean a lot to user...
Glad you got it working:thumbsup:
On side note be careful if adapter goes to sleep as tv would switch to internal speakers and volume could be different... Not nice experience if you try to watch something at night and wake up toddler :rotfl: As example tv does not keep live my philips soundbar (what an irony) if stay for too long browsing on apps with no sound.
I power the HDMI ARC adapter from the TV USB port and the Active speaker (Ruark MR1) powers up/down if/when it detects an input signal. It seems to work ok.
I previously connected the MR1 to the headphone out and used the MR1 remote for the volume control, but the real issue was that the TV would randomly play audio for 10-15 seconds even when it was in standby !. I get the impression phiips just badge engieer cheap chinese tvs so they don't really have much design or quality control which also renders them unable to support the products when they don't work.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom