no video output/HELP!!

wellsy2008

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ive had my xbox for about 2 years and its suddenly stopped outputting any image at all.it still has sound there but i cannot see a thing.i have checked the cables,swapped the cables but still the same thing is happening.anyone help on this prob??

Sounds like your GPU or HANA chip is having problems.

If you still have green lights, its most likely GPU that has a corner not making contact with its solder ball grid
Had one in the other day with this, only way to fix it is to place small pieces of old credit or plastic business card on the troublesome corner/corners of the GPU, normally the front edges that need them on and boot it up, been playing on it ever since.

Stu

Last edited:
More information about your setup would help. How is the Xbox connected regards video and sound ? What TV do you have ? Have you made sure it's on the right AV channel ? Do you get the red quadrants around the on/off button ?

Having said that if you have made sure the cable is connected properly at both ends and tried another cable but still get sound and no video it's quite possible the GPU has developed a fault. If this is the case then I suspect there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

there is no ring of death.no red lights.i usualy played the xbox on a 32" bush hd ready(not sure of model) and it didnt work on that and i tryed it on the tv we have upstairs which is standard def portable and nothink on that either.i even tryed holding the y button when i switched the xbox on.i am out of ideas.

there is no ring of death.no red lights.i usualy played the xbox on a 32" bush hd ready(not sure of model) and it didnt work on that and i tryed it on the tv we have upstairs which is standard def portable and nothink on that either.i even tryed holding the y button when i switched the xbox on.i am out of ideas.

Definitely sounds internal related then, Most likely GPU or HANA chipsets.
Will cost you to have it repaired by Microsoft though as its not 3 reds.
You could repair it yourself, depends if your willing to sacrifice the last of the warranty or get the machine to RROD and then send it back if the unit has not been tampered with.

Stu

thx for the advice.do you have any tips on how to fix myself as i wouldnt have a clue what to do without any details.i dont want to break it totally as there is still some life in the little thing,just not the way i want lol

If your not to sure I can take a look at it for you, I offer repairs services through ebay.
If your fairly confident with your electronics I could probably advise you, but is your warranty against 3 red lights up first?
If it isnt I would get it to red ring then organise a repair through microsoft for free providing your seal is intact still and you are the original registered user (bought from new and registered on microsofts website.)
Is it still showing the greens on boot up, are you getting any sound output at all, this one that I had with a similar issue output sound but no video and had green lights so will most likely be the same fix I did to that.

Stu

im confortable with my electronics,if you kud advise me that wud be great.there is the sound and the green lights are still there on the front.everything works except the video output.

It's getting really common now, audio with no video. I have two Japanese machines in and a PAL Elite with it at the moment.

The last 3 or 4 i fixed all had the same symptoms. Seems to be much more prevalent since the NXE.

Just had this happen to my alreay replaced (RROD)360.
It's £60 pound to be repaired my M$. You could try the X-Clamp fix on the motherboard (Google) and the heatgun fix and as mentioned small bits of credit card on the corners of the chips. I have done a couple of these and it does work but if its an early motherboard chances are it may happen again.

You could choose to get repaired or get a new Arcade machine with possible Jasper mobo (New GPU and CPU) for just £109.

im confortable with my electronics,if you kud advise me that wud be great.there is the sound and the green lights are still there on the front.everything works except the video output.

Here is what you need to do mate, let me know if you need help -

Xboxexperts.com Xbox 360 Repair/Modding - Heatgunning with Isolation

Xboxexperts.com Xbox 360 Repair/Modding - Wilhelm's improved X-Clamp Fix

The fan shroud mod is well worth doing too -

Xbox 360 – Cooling Modification

Best of luck , it's not too hard really. Just use tin foil for the heatgunning, 3 layers, tape down the first two.

Wellsy2008 do you just get a blank screen?
Ive just turned on my second 360 and get a blank screen,no red lights. Ive changed leads with my RROD 360 and still nothing.Even tried it on a second TV,still nothing.
Inserting a game and it doesnt seem to load it either.

So thats two 360's in a week went bust :( at least i have Game receipts for them both.

Nick,ive installed NXE on both these machines if that helps you with collecting data about it.

yeh just a blank screen.the games still load because i can hear them playing in the background.

I had the same problem and did the heatgun and xclamp fix. It only lasted for roughly a month. Now my 360 is totally gubbed, 3rrod and the error 0003.

just register a repair online and tell ms you have the 3rrod

Did you brace the motherboard mate, as in the link I posted, with the supports under the cpu and gpu?

nae nick, anyway the gpu is totally gubbed. picked up a zephyr from ebay for £41 to replace it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom