No TV Aerial?

karenburton1305

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my friends has just moved into a new apartment - but she doesn't have an aerial port and the indoor aerial just doesn't seem to work. Any tips on how to get live TV?

Indoor aerials aren’t really to be recommended unless you live close to your local TV transmitter.
Since she's just moved has she tried retuning her TV?

Yeah she has - she's retuned in every possible way. It's frustrating because Virgin still haven't fixed her box either.

I didn't know that bout indoor aerials - she's in an apartment block too in the city centre so will it probably not work?

Very surprised that a modern apartment block hasn't got a communal aerial system. Get friend to check with the Managing Agents/Freeholder/Landlord?

I guess some new developments could have an anti-competitive tie-in with Virgin Media cable in exchange for the installation of cabling and kit??? But their outlets look like F-sockets as used for satellite and (increasingly) for UHF TV distribution cables.

Which city is this?
Room aerials may only work through the windows on the side nearest the transmitter and high up enough to clear other buildings.

One of my friends has just moved into a new apartment - but she doesn't have an aerial port and the indoor aerial just doesn't seem to work. Any tips on how to get live TV?

Get a firestick and stream BBC,ITV etc

Yeahh she does have a firestick! It's just for other channels too.

I don't think her building is modern - it feels pretty old? Lots of brick ceiling and detailed windows etc. There's a virgin media cable there but it's basically ineffective now.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

As previously said, it would be very helpful to know where she is. Not in detail, of course, but maybe what part of what city.

That way, those here would have a better idea of what should be possible regarding potential aerials to use.

If the flat is rented I believe that the Landlord is obliged to supply a basic living room to some sort of free TV distribution or communal aerial etc. Not 100% sure but our lrtting agents insist on this for our properties and got recompense from previous tenant as they re-routed aerial to bedroom and installed Sky to lounge without permission.

I didn't think Android TV devices did ? ( BBC iPlayer maybe?)

Firesticks and chrome casts can all stream live tv and easy enough to work :)

A chrome cast can't stream anything unless you have a live TV source on another device that can cast to a chromecast.

If the flat is rented I believe that the Landlord is obliged to supply a basic living room to some sort of free TV distribution or communal aerial etc. Not 100% sure but our lrtting agents insist on this for our properties and got recompense from previous tenant as they re-routed aerial to bedroom and installed Sky to lounge without permission.
I did wonder because surely an access port to TV must be mandatory!

It would be interesting to find out how all the neighbors in the apartment block receive live TV, unless no one in the block watches live TV. She might ask her neighbours what they use?

Is there an aerial on the roof?

It's a massive building so we can't see up onto the roof - good point about the neighbours. I think we just assumed everyone would be the same!

Is it a flat roof or is there a loft which might be big enough to house an aerial?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom