1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No SVS for me - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gwynne, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly, shipping costs rule out any realistic chance of an SVS PB1+1:

Shipping (UK): $245
    Shipping (Cyprus): $620 (+ unknown import taxes)

Given the mode of demise of my previous sub (small children, cruched cone) I'm keen on getting a downward-firing unit, ruling out B&W.

What do folks here think of either the REL Strata III or MJ Acoustics Ref 1 Mk II? The latter appears tempting, as it has a balanced XLR input matching the output on my Parasound C2

2. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest a listening test at your local A/V store, since ordering from overseas may be a hindrance no matter who you buy from...

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Both options that you have mentioned are good subs although not in the same league as SVS for deep, undistorted bass. Quite a few here have had the Strata and although Crustyloafer likes his MJ Reference 1 it is the mark one version and not the mark 2 although as a dealer he has probably heard one by now.

If it costs so much to import an SVS to Cyprus, is it not equally expensive whatever you buy as most subs will be imported either from UK or USA

4. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Have you asked about shipping to Greece? If you have any family or friends there, maybe they can forward it to you.

5. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeff-O

You've obviously not seen the state of AV/HiFi shops in Cyprus (both of them)...

Ian

I can bring stuff from the UK through BFPO, which is cheaper. In addition, if I buy from within the EU I don't pay VAT, which is also quite a saving. It all adds up!

Grubert

It's a lot cheaper to Athens; I could then ship it surface but the Greek bureacracy has to be seen to be believed! No friend though, and airfares are rising as the Olympics approach.

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You don't have to rule out forward firing subs just for fear of the cones getting damaged. The B&W ASW675 for instance has a very strong Kevlar and aluminium coated cone which would withstand significant pressure from curious children. I have had tweaters damaged by my little girl but I have felt reassured that my previous ASW675 and now my ASW750 are secure from heavy handed toddlers.

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sorry to burst your bubble Stellavision.

But the very visible dome on the '675 cone at a local dealers has been looking battered recently.

I don't think they are quite as strong as you believe. The unit looked perfect only a few months ago when I had a demo.

Even a downward firing unit is vulnerable to a kid shoving his plastic lorry or Barbie doll into the gap between the floor and drive unit!

Kids need training from an early age that some things are not their toys and they don't have the right to attack anything and everything in their environment. I wish they'd told me before I dismantled the electric iron, the clock and then started on the radio. :blush:

Electrified razor wire! That's the only answer with some kids! :devil:

Nimby

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I'm not saying that the cones are unbreakable, I said they would stand significant amounts of pressure. By that I mean a child couldn't just walk up to it and push it in. If my kids made the slightest agressive action towards a speaker they would be in a lot of trouble. For a driver to get significantly battered this isn't just curious fingers but downright rough behaviour which I do not tolerate from my children. Not around expensive kit anyway.
    And besides, most forward firing subs come with a grill which can give your driver a little extra protection if required.
    Gwynne, if you are specifically set on getting a down firing sub the Kef PSW4000 is supposed to be quite a nice option. It has a 12" driver, a 500 watt amp and can be remote controlled. I'm not too sure about Kefs pricing and availability in Cprus though.

9. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all. The damage was done by one of the kids climbing onto the top of the sub, probably by a foot. Kevlar body armour perhaps...

Nimby, your right re further underage carnage, but the little darlings are not ususally so destructive.

Stellavision, thanks for the heads up on the Kef; I'll look around.

10. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gwynne...

Have you thought about DIY?

Or get a cabinet maker to make the box and just import a driver & amp?

Dick

11. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably easier to DIY a cage for the little darlings who got me into this position in the first place...