No surround sound on new Bond Blu-Ray

Vendee33

Standard Member
Apologies if this ends up in the wrong forum but I don't really know where the problem lies.

My system is:-Marantz SR 6008 receiver, Panasonic DMP-BDT180 4k Blu-ray player and a Sony KD-55XH9296 TV.

A few days ago I bought the new "No Time to Die" Blu-Ray disc. I agonised over getting the 4K version but I couldn't get hold of that before Christmas and also the Blu-Ray version was a third of the price of the 4K version. So tonight we sat down to watch the film. Dolby Digital+ was selected on the receiver and the build up to the film was coming from all 5 speakers but as soon as the film proper started, it reverted to stereo. I checked the settings on the receiver and on the DVD player but I couldn't get any 5.1 sound. Dolby digital was selected on the disc setup menu. When I looked at the Blu-ray box, it said that the sound was Dolby Atmos. I must admit I'm a bit ignorant regarding Dolby formats but I would have thought that would have worked with my setup.

Is there a problem with my Blu-Ray disc or is there a problem with my settings or my equipment. I've got hundreds of Blu-Rays and DVD's which play 5.1 perfectly but this has me stumped.

Thanks.

KBD

Choose TrueHD 7.1 if your receiver can't accept ATMOS.

KBD

TrueHD has been around for about 9 years.

gibbsy

Thanks for the quick reply. The receiver is 7 years old and I'm not sure it has TrueHD 7.1 as an option.... I'll have to check.
It has Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. You may need to select TrueHD on the disc's home menu as Atmos may be the discs default setting.

Vendee33

Standard Member
Thanks to everyone who replied. I took a look at the issue this morning with a clearer head. I checked the receiver settings and they were fine. I put the disc in and checked the disc sound options. There were only 3.... English Dolby Atmos, Italian and English descriptive. Then I looked at my Blu-Ray player settings and stumbled on this one:-
PXL_20211225_094253026.jpg

The "BD-Video Secondary Audio" had been set to ON so after reading the last couple of lines of text below it, I set this to OFF. I played the disc again and I had surround sound. The receiver was reporting it as "DolbyHD" where before it was just "DolbyD". I've never touched those player settings before and I think we've had it for 4 years.

So I'm not sure exactly how I solved the issue but it seems to be fine. Like most people these days, we stream a lot and I'm sure that this is the first Blu ray disc that I've bought that has "Dolby Atmos" listed. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom