No surround sound from Sony Blu Ray

rydermo

Standard Member
Hi there

I'm new here and not really very tech savvy.

I bought a Sony TA-VE170 Home Cinema System this week, only cheap but for some additional sound.

I set it up tonight and got great sound from my Sony HD TV and DVD Player via RCA red and white cables. It work's perfectly and sounds great.

Now the issue concerns my Sony blu ray player.

I connect the TV to the Blu Ray player via HDMI and get picture/sound. I then change the audio option on the tv to output via home cinema speakers.

I have then tried to connect the cinema system to the Blu Ray player and get nothing but hissing. The cinema system is fairly old and does not have optical or HDMI options. It only has what appears to be red/white connection options available.

Is there anyway I can get some sort of sound from the blu ray player through the home cinema system? There's tons of channel options on the cinema system and I've been pressing them all night but had no luck.

I'm not fussed about it being 5.1 or anything, I'd just like some additional surround sound from the blu ray player but at present cannot figure out how to connect these two to make it happen.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ryan

Ps. attached an image of what my blu ray rear and surround rear look like.
photo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Did you connect the bluray player to the home cinema system using an analogue (red/white) phono cable?

rydermo

Standard Member
Hi

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes.

So firstly I connected the Sony Blu Ray to the TV using the HDMI. Got the image perfectly. Then selected to output audio via the cinema system on the TV menu.

Then I connected the red/white cables from the LINE OUT section on the back of the Blu Ray player into the Home Cinema System. I wasn't sure which one the red/white cable should go into on the back of the cinema system so I tried them all (Video/TV/DVD) and got no sound.

Although I did get a 'hiss' from the speakers and the base unit when plugged into each option.

Thanks

Ryan

rydermo

Standard Member
Did you connect the bluray player to the home cinema system using an analogue (red/white) phono cable?
Hi

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes.

So firstly I connected the Sony Blu Ray to the TV using the HDMI. Got the image perfectly. Then selected to output audio via the cinema system on the TV menu.

Then I connected the red/white cables from the LINE OUT section on the back of the Blu Ray player into the Home Cinema System. I wasn't sure which one the red/white cable should go into on the back of the cinema system so I tried them all (Video/TV/DVD) and got no sound.

Although I did get a 'hiss' from the speakers and the base unit when plugged into each option.

Thanks

Ryan

Broadz

Either stick with outputting audio from TV to home cinema - Blu Ray player is still sending its audio as well as video to the TV, and the TV is still capable of sending its audio via the red and white RCA stereo cables to the home cinema - or at least give us a clue what Blu Ray player you have bought, so we can have a look at the spec of it and see whether (1) it does support RCA stereo out and (2) what you have to adjust within setup to make it work. It will obviously only be PCM stereo, no digital audio can be carried via RCA, but it may be possible to generate a stereo audio track from the digital disc you are watching.

Edit : Just noticed your photo - so it certainly does have RCA stereo out. What you have to do to activate it though will only be possible to advise if we know the model number so we can look at the manual for it.

Last edited:

rydermo

Standard Member
Either stick with outputting audio from TV to home cinema - Blu Ray player is still sending its audio as well as video to the TV, and the TV is still capable of sending its audio via the red and white RCA stereo cables to the home cinema - or at least give us a clue what Blu Ray player you have bought, so we can have a look at the spec of it and see whether (1) it does support RCA stereo out and (2) what you have to adjust within setup to make it work. It will obviously only be PCM stereo, no digital audio can be carried via RCA, but it may be possible to generate a stereo audio track from the digital disc you are watching.

Edit : Just noticed your photo - so it certainly does have RCA stereo out. What you have to do to activate it though will only be possible to advise if we know the model number so we can look at the manual for it.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

No problem, sorry I didn't include the info.

The blu ray player is BDP-S370 and also my TV is KDL32S3000

I have included two images of the back of my TV as you mention sticking with outputting audio from the TV to home cinema, which I did get to work with my sky box but not with my blu ray, so I thought I'd include an image as I might be plugging the RCA into the wrong slots.

I was previously going from the white/red slots on the back of the Blu Ray into the white/red slot marked VIDEO on the back of the home cinema, where I would get a hiss but not sound.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Ryan

side | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (SIDE)

photo | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (REAR)

Broadz

I have included two images of the back of my TV as you mention sticking with outputting audio from the TV to home cinema, which I did get to work with my sky box but not with my blu ray
This makes no sense - when you are outputting stereo audio directly from your TV to your home cinema, it doesn't make an iota of difference whether the source on the TV is DVD, Blu Ray, satellite television, Freeview, VCR, cable or a games console. The source is the TV - and whatever you are watching (and listening to) on the TV should be what is being sent to the home cinema via the stereo connections.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom