No surround feature

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WillBrooks, Jan 10, 2012.

1. WillBrooks

WillBrooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having some fun getting surround sound out of my current set up - anyone know why?

I have the following..
    LG 50PZ550T (from currys)
    Toshiba BDX3200
    Pioneer AV DV55 home cinema system.

I have a proper HDMI cable into the TV the optical out of the TV into the back of the Pioneer. Though this i get sound but it isnt 5.1! I also have an old 5m RCA from Toshiba Coax output - Pioneer coax input as far as i can understand but i get nothing from this.

I have tried 3 different new blue-ray DVDs and a few movies ive got on my hard drive. Any ideas ?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    None of the specs, including Currys, indicate that the TV has a an audio optical output socket. This could be wrong, of course. Your Pioneer system appears to have digital audio inputs so I would expect a direct connection from the BDX3200 should work if the correct input is selected.

Edit: just checked the LG site. It does appear to have digital out, sorry. Currys, PC World and Dixons sites are rubbish at describing what they are trying to sell!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. WillBrooks

WillBrooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im also pretty confident that it has a HD tuner as its got the option of BBC1 HD etc on the channel list. Weird lol.

Anyway i do get 2.1 sound out of the system with the sound going from DVD - TV - Pioneer using HDMI + Optical but no 5.1. IS there a format issue ?

4. philwhite100

philwhite100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know most of the HD channels have 5.1 surround sound but i did have trouble myself when trying to set it up as all i got was 2.1 but an adjustment to the sound output on the TV settings had things up and running in no time after which i was getting AC-3-2-1 digital surround. I think HDMI offers 7.1 sound but my optical link only gives 5.1 as my old surround receiver was made before the days of HDMI connectivity.

5. WillBrooks

WillBrooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got sound through the DVD - Pioneer box now (i.e. avoiding the TV) using whats labeled as a Coaxial output on the DVD however there is a delay on the sound now! its currently an old 5m RCA cable from my old car install could the length be the issue ?

6. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Are you using an actual digital coaxial cable?