1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No such thing as Dolby Digital TV transmissions (in UK)?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by asgura, Mar 6, 2005.

1. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Q. What % of UK DAB FTA transmissions have Dolby Digital soundtracks (as at Mar-2005)?

I'm considering buying an AV amp to take advantage of my Humax PVR-8000-T's Dolby Digital out port. As far as I can see though there appears to be no transmissions in the UK of Dolby Digital soundtracks(?).

Having spent most of Sunday morning surfing for an answer I can find no useful information on the subject, the absence of which implies to me that to digital out port on my FTA receiver is pointless...:(

Many thanks in advance for any info offered.

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    FTA ? none . Only SKY+ has DD out , and then only on Movies 1 2 3 and occasinally the Disney Channel.
    You should still be able to use the output to your amp for Pro-Logic/II decoding
    atb
    John

3. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've been very helpful. There is an Amp I was going to bid on in ebay in around 2 hours, shan't be bothering now as there is no point. Begs the question though; if my FTA receiver has a Dolby Digital Out then obviously FTA can broadcast DD - so I wonder why they don't? Guess that one is for another thread...

As for Pro-Logic/II - I can hook the DVR to the DVD player's AUX in and have the DVD player output PLII.

Cheers

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    DOLBY is a licensed technolgy, a broadcaster has to pay to use it and have the required hardware to broadcast it.
    SKY for one reason or another (Probably economic) only broadcast DD on some of the premium movie channels and then only the people with SKY+ can hear it.
    The BBC certainly have issues on using bandwidth for video quality so little chance of them commiting to additional bandwidth just for audio not to mention their reluctance to pay third party licenses for something most people are not to bothered about.

There are no technical reasons a FTA channel on DTT or Dsat can not broadcast DD audio, but the question of cost, bandwidth and any marketing advantage will probably have the final say.

DPII is a very good alternative to DP but seriously if you care about the audio on DVD/movies then DD5.1 and/or DTS are the way to go.

5. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The digital output will still give better sound quality than an analogue connection and gives you a thinner cable to hide.

6. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and if you get an amp you can put your dvd player through it. dvd movies come to life with surround sound. i would get one just for that.

7. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    PIIx with 7.1 amp and a sub will bring any two channel transmission to life. You won't look back. :D

8. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    No FTA receiver has a Dolby Digital Out. Some may have coax or optical digital outs, but that does not mean they have Dolby Digital Out.

9. carpfisher

carpfisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incorrect. The Sony Freeview receiver will output DD through its optical mini-jack output. You can enable it to do this through its audio setup menu. HOWEVER, there are currently no broadcasters offering this in the UK on terrestrial broadcasts. If the situation changes, the Sony box will be capable of passing the stream to an AV receiver.

10. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...as will the Pioneer and Humax.

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You will find that any digital connection (co-ax or optical) is just that, a digital input or output (output in this case). It is just a method of carrying a digital bitstream, it does not give a monkey's what is in the bitstream (within reason). IF a broadcaster (in this case) choose's to send an encoded digital signal (Dolby digital/ DTS/MPEG or even PCM) and the box in question has the whereforall to send that to the digital connection then you can pass digitally that bitstream to a audio processor/decoder and onto the amp/speakers. To label an output on a STB as Dolby Digital is not correct, SPDIF or TOSlink is correct.

12. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Exactly the point I was trying to make to the original poster who stated that his Humax PVR-8000-T has a Dolby Digital out port. It doesn't - it's got a S/PDIF port.

13. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To clarify - yes the Humax PVT has a SPDIF/Toslink digital out. As the Humax outputs DD I lazily called it Dolby Digital out for brevity. It's kind of like saying "FM Radio" even though it can also receive AM as well. I think.

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I would add that any digital output needs to have a decoder/processor (AV amp etc.) to decode the bitstream and pass it onto the DAC's/amps/speakers before you can hear anything decypherable, up until then it is just all noughts and ones.