1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Subwoofer - will I wreck my speakers?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Fast Eddie, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Should soon be getting my AV Receiver- Marantz sr4300. With my budget low and living in an appartment I will not be buying a subwoofer, maybe in the future hopefully. I have Mission M72's front. m7c1 centre with the rears being powered from the pre-outs of the Marantz through my mini system. Will not having a sub risk damage to the speakers if I channel low bass through the normal speakers and how should I go about setting up the AV Receiver to minimise risk to the speakers? Any help much appreciated.

Ed

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As long as the power handling/impedence of the speakers match (or close to) the amp then there is little or no chance of damaging your equipment (unless you turn the amp up full and it start clipping).
    Believe it or not, but there are lots of people that do not use a Sub. It is only needed if you have small satalite speakers. Resonable speakers will still give a half decent bass, but a sub will (probably, depending on the sub!) give an improvement if possible in the future.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd say a sub is needed unless you have full range main speakers and most people don't. A good pair of floorstanders will produce a fair bit of low bass but you'll still be missing out, especially with the stuff on the LFE channel.

To answer the original question - don't worry about sending the LFE channel to your main speakers - this won't cause a problem - the speakers and amp will reproduce what they can and the rest will simply be missing.

Matt.