No subwoofer out dvd-a on AVR300

droitaubut

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm new to this thread and a "frenchy" from Québec, so please be patient with me.

I recently received my blu-ray player BDP-83 from Oppo. I hoked it up via the 6 analog inputs. All five channels are OK, but i have no sub at all. My sub goes on with the digital interconects on my DVD but nada via dVD-a.

My speakers are set to small in the avr and in the Oppo. I also apply in both a 10 db boost. I tried everything I can see but still no sub out.

Any Ideas. I need your help before I take it to my dealer.

Thanks.

Are you sure the source is 5.1 DVD-A, not a 5.0 DVD-A? Classical SACD / DVD-A's of European provenance are typically 5.0.

Also remember that the Oppo BDP-83 has not yet been released to market, and its DVD-A support is documented as early experience - with a range of known and reported issues. Therefore if the source is 5.1 and you aren't getting the .1, you should probably report the matter to Oppo under the Early Experience Program - of which you are necessarily a member.

Thanks Mark for the rapid reply.

I'm sure about the source. I also have no sub on blu-ray.

I'm not an EAP participant but was on the interest list since december 08. Oppo has released th BDP-83 to those on that list an a VIP offer. Once the list is finished they should release it to the general public. I did not report it to Oppo because I thnk the problem is in the AVR-300.

One more info: When I select DVD-A the stereo direct goes on and can't set it to off.
Any ideas??

The only settings on the AVR300 that will affect the sound are the levels. Speaker sizes, and distance are ignored for the MCH inputs. As you have seen they operate in direct mode only.

You need the LFE +10db boost on in the amp. However, if you have small speakers, then the Oppo is applying a further 5db reduction to the LFE level, so on the Oppo, I would reduce all the speakers except the sub by 5db. This will effectively boost the sub by 5db without overloading the analogue input, which is why I believe it's lowered in the first place. You could try boosting the sub on the player by 5db, but this may not be the best option. Perhaps others can confirm.

The Oppo is currently fixed at an 80Hz crossover.

If you change the speaker setting to large, then you need to undo the 5db boost, as it's the bass redirection that causes the additional drop and large means no redirection is happening.

I would then put your AVR300 settings to what they were before so any other digital sources sound correct. If you boost the amp sub level, then all your other digital inputs will seem very bass heavy.

Hope that helps, I'm afraid my French is rubbish.

Finaly I tried this option (- 5db) on my lunch break.

No good. :(

It dosen't seem to be a volume issue. My subwoofer has an automatic on and it doesen't go on at all. It doesen't receive a signal.

I tried connecting the sub directly to the out in the player and it works. Somehow the signal is lost in the AVR....

Have you ever had anything connected to the AVR300 sub input that works or is the Oppo the first player? Also, have you made sure both the sub cables are good?

Also which of the sub options on the AVR have you set? The DTS or the DVD-A one?

Hi again,

It's my first blu-ray player.
My sub pre-out cable always worked fine.
As for my sub analog in I tried switching it with another cable: still no sub output.

What are the settings that you mention DTS or DVD-A ?

On the AVR300 setup menu, there's one dedicated to the subwoofer. You need to make sure the DVD-A option is set to +10db, and leave the DTS Lfe set to normal.

Finally just a double check, make sure the sub is set to on in the Oppo. Worth checking again.

On my avr-300 the settings are:

DTS LFE : 0 db normal
DVD-A : +10 db
On the Oppo :
SW : on
Distance : 12 ft ( same as front)
trim : +10 db

When I select DVD-A the stereo direct goes on and can't set it to off
This is correct. The DVD-A source is an analogue pass through. The AVR300 does nothing with the sub signal except apply the levels (channel specific volume). All bass processing is carried out in the source.

Problems in the still-under-development Oppo BDP-83 with bass management playing DVD-A's need to be reported back to Oppo under the EAP program or whatever support program VIP's are part of, so that they can fix their firmware. Needless to say, you should always be testing using the current firmware version.

BTW, either apply the +10dB in the Oppo or in the AVR300, but not in both; the effect is cumulative.

Last edited:
The next thing I would try is first use the AVR300 test tones on the speaker levels menu to ensure a signal is going to the sub.

Then if the Oppo has test tones, try those or use the Spears and Munsil disk supplied, which I think may also have test tones.

This might help narrow down where the problem is. I assume the centre speaker is working ok when playing from the Oppo?

EDIT: Correction, the Spears & Munsil disk doesn't have audio test tones.

Last edited:
Hi again from Québec,

Thanks for your help.

According to Oppo the players were shiped with the latest firmware.

I tried the test tones on the AVR-300 and the sub played the test tone. There is no test tone on the Oppo.

Al the other speakers (5) work perfectly.
I also reviewed all the settings on both just to make sure.
Still no sub:(

What happens if you connect the stereo L&R analogue outputs to the analogue CD inputs on the AVR300 (or borrow a CD player), set the AVR300 to small speakers and do not use direct mode? Use the lower tones from this test tones CD

My marantz cd player is hocked up 2 ways: analog for zone 2 and optical. It is then used as transport to let the avr do the decoding in my main room.
I removed the optical cable and played a cd...
My sub goes on and works fine. However I noticed that if the sound is set too low the sub does not go on. I raised the volume and then it went on. I don't know if that meens anything.
I think I should see my dealer wiyh the AVR?...

Have you tried boosting the sub channel on the AVR just to see if it triggers more consistent subwoofer activity?

If it does, what speaker settings do you have configured on the Oppo?

If the sound is set too low the sub does not go on. I raised the volume and then it went on. I don't know if that means anything.
Most subs have an automatic power on / off feature to save electricity. Your sub's sensitivity it set too low, so that it fails to switch on when it receives only a low signal level. The documentation that accompanied your sub should have details on overriding the automatic switching and / or altering the sensitivity. In any case, this has nothing to do with the AVR300.

The fact that your sub is working in this context also demonstrates that the sub, and the connection between the AVR300 and the sub, are OK.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the included Spears & Munsil Cal disk does not have audio test tones, only demos. Sadly so, because if they had audio test tones of the same caliber as their video tests, it would be a nice bonus.

One needs to default to Avia, etc., to set trims in the Oppo.

Hello again,

My subwoofer (HSU VTF3-MK2) has 3 positions: off, auto and on. I tried leaving it at the on position and still no sound from the sub.
Until now i'ved tried almost every setting combination on the player and the AVR. Yesterday I played Batman blu-ray and the subwoffer works fine when connected directly to the sub out on the Oppo player.
I also e-mailed Arcam on May 26 and no answer yet.

If you feel the AVR300 multichannel in for the subwoofer is broken, take it back to your dealer for service. There are no user-configurable options to enable / disable subwoofer processing in multichannel mode.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom