No subtitles on TX-55FX700B

millsy5

Novice Member
Hi. I bought a Panasonic TX-55FX700B (4K LED display) TV over a year ago. I'm happy enough with the TV overall, however I can't get subtitles to work. I downloaded the user manual and followed any steps that referenced subtitles but nothing works.
The manual (which seems to be a generic one covering multiple models) does say "If Available" with the subtitles steps. This leads me to believe that my TV model does not support subtitles. This seems very strange that a TV I bought in the latter half of 2019 does not support subtitles, when my old LG TV which is about 10 years old does support it.
Anyone know if it is common for 'new' TVs not to support subtitles, and assuming my one does not support it, is there anything that can be (e.g. software update) to get the support?
Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
What source are you viewing, built-in Freeview or an external BT, Sky or Virgin Media box?
If it's the built in Freeview tuner press the “STTL” button on the Panasonic TV remote.
If an external box use the subtitles button (or go into the menu) on it's remote.

millsy5

Novice Member
The use the TV with both a Sky box and also a USB. I just confirmed that if I enable subtitles on my Sky Q box using the Sky remote the Panasonic does display the subtitles. I hadn't thought to check this before posting.

However my problem is with the USB. I'm watching avi files with softcoded subtitles on a USB stick through one of the USB ports. On my LG TV the subtitles display correctly but not through the Panasonic TV. I wonder if there is a separate setting to enable subtitles on the USB? Or maybe this is not supported.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom