1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Sub so large/small speaker configuration on 5 speakers?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by StuartBooth, Nov 8, 2000.

1. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Living in rented accomodation, the spare space on my landlord's house, until I move out in my own place next year I can't really crank up the Home Cinema.

And having the expense of buying absolutely EVERYTHING (TV, DVD, discs, Amp, Speakers, Stands, etc, etc) I decided I could make do without a sub for the time being.

Is anybody else missing this otherwise vital component? How did you end up setting up your speakers in the end?

I've presently got the front 3 on Large, and swap between the rears on small and large as I can't decide.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you don't have a sub then there are two things to do: Route the LFE to the front/main speakers and set those to LARGE.
    As for the rears it depends on how low they can go, if they are rather small size and cannot handle bass very well set them to SMALL.
    My first speaker package was without a sub and did pretty well, but in the end a sub is an essential part of a proper AV setup and I don't want to miss it now.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am without sub (boo hoo). I have been planning to buy one for around 10 months now, but never seem to get round to it due to various money reasons.

I have quite large bassy speakers all round at the mo and used to be quite happy with them in my Pro Logic setup, but as soon as I made the jump to digital I realised I was missing something. I demo'd a Rel Q50 and I new I HAD to have a sub to truly appreciate how a movie was supposed to sound.

I answer to your question on settings. I have my front and rear speakers set to large with the amp routing the LFE to them. The centre is set to small as, even though it is basically the same model as the rears, it just dosn't sound right set to large.....experiment and see which sound best to you...but remember to route the LFE to the speakers set to large.

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

4. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Hadn't thought to check that. So much to fiddle with. Luckily a more experienced mate of mine is visiting tomorrow with his Sound Pressure Level Meter so we'll have a bit of set-up fun getting the sound level just so.

I went to pick up my new main front speakers yesterday (Dynaudio Contour 1.1's - by golly these and the Contour Centre are beautiful with the grills off!) and asked my friendly AV guy this same question.

He recommended the mains to Large and the centre specifically to Small to allow it to focus in on the mid-range stuff, speech specifically. The rears, well, experiment there he suggested.

I'm still running things in though so the real experimentation will start in a couple of weeks I guess.

Stuart