1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no sub output using seperate preamp??/

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mick23, Aug 27, 2004.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all at the moment have nad preamp on loan , have out of interest linked this to my 3802 as follows.
    front l/r preouts of 3802 to power in of nad,, cd player to nad pre, also using inbuilt phono stage of nad with my tt.

everthing works ok but get no output from sub with the above combination.

if using the denons internal tuner ,still no sub if i disconnect the front l/r preouts from 3802 and use tuner sub works ok

settings are speakers small +sub.

is there anyway round this without making a DIRECT CONNECTION FROM SUB TO SPEAKERS,???/ as i feel the sub would definatly be of benifit with tt usage, the nad pre treble/bass adjustment is miner.

ps have the nad pre to try with my parasound a23 to be used as pre/power to see if it brings any benifit for 2 channel over the 3802.but thought it would be of interest to see if there is any differance between 3802 pre amp section and nad pre
    MODS FEEL FREE TO MOVE TO DIFFERANT SECTION IF NEED BE

thank you

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't work because the Denon isn't receiving a signal at all. The only way to get the sub working the way you've setup is to connect at high level to the speakers.

Connecting the CD player to the Denon will bring the sub back into play but that then defeats the object of what you're trying to do.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thats what i thought ,but it doesn't explain why it won't work with the built in tuner.

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appears that the sub works when using the Tuner but only if he disconnects the amp from the Front Left & Right Pre-Outs. Weird one that. :confused:

Not selecting Direct mode by any chance are you? You can switch the SW output On or Off in this mode, check that it's still active.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes it is strange .

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks all was using 3802 in direct mode, switched the 3802 to sterio ,then back to direct all is ok sub working with say tuner, not sure (how/where) i set the sub to on/off in direct mode though should this be in main set up menu ???

thanks all

7. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you're in Direct Mode press the CH VOL button on the front panel and cycle through until you get to SW then turn the knob to adjust from OFF back up to the level you want. You can also do it from the remote by pressing the little Enter/Pause button (if I remember correctly!) and then using the up/down arrow buttons. Make sure the remote is set to AMP.