1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sub/LFE signal

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Razumikhin, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Razumikhin

Razumikhin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've heard a lot of guessing about this question, so I would really appreciate if someone here could give me a more definitive answer:

What happens to the LFE signal (in DTS/Dolby Digital) if I set sub to "no" and front speakers to "large"? Will the LFE signal be fed to the fronts - or will I only get a full range signal of the "regular", non-LFE track?

My receiver is a Denon 2105.

Best regards
    Razumikhin

2. bargain

bargain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey fella :)

I just went through all this myself.

Do you have a sub? If so, set your front speakers to "small" as per the advice of pretty much all the articles below. If not, set your front speakers to "large", and then (if the sub option is on "no"), you will indeed get the LFE channel, plus the frequencies below the cutoffs off the speakers set to "small", sent to the front speakers.

Some very useful and informative articles I found on this issue:

LFE explination
    The Basics of Bass Management
    Subwoofer crossover frequencies
    Lots of articles here: System Setup and Configuration and of particular note: Setting the Subwoofer / LFE Crossover for Best Performance

hope this helps, mate.

EDIT: Ah, I see the thread title says no sub....

Well here's another bit of confirmation if you're still unsure... THIS diagram shows that regardless of whether your fronts are set to LARGE or SMALL, they are automatically treated as LARGE if you have "NO SUB". Then, the bass mix of the SMALL speakers (a mixture of all the frequencies below the SP low-cut for all the speakers set to SMALL), AND the LFE channel (LFE frequencies BELOW the LFE High Cut), is sent to your fronts.

So make sure LFE High Cut in your amp is set to 120Hz, and set the SP low-cut to as low as your SMALL speakers will go. If you have it set too high, you will get directional audio information that was supposed to be sent to the right rear for example, sent to the fronts. That's no good.

I hope all this makes sense and is conclusive enough for ya :smashin:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It will be fed to the fronts.

4. Razumikhin

Razumikhin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the informative answers.

Actually I do have a sub, but I would prefer NOT to connect it to the LFE out. The reason is that I use a stereo amp to drive to front channels of the system and I would like to share BOTH fronts AND the sub between the two systems.Therefore my setup is as follows:

- Surr. rec. drives center and surr. speakers.
    - Stereo amp runs fronts via front pre-out signal from surr. rec.
    - Sub is connected to pre-out on stereo amp.
    - Sub is set to "no" and fronts to "large".

Theoretically a full range signal - and according to you, including the LFE signal - should be transferred to the stereo amp and from here to both fronts and sub... .

Only problem: I get significantly less bass out of this setup than I do if I connect the sub directly to the LFE out. And it's not just a matter of adjusting volumes. It's as if the deepest frequencies are totally absent. Any idea?

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Is that a dedicated Sub pre-out?

Rather than connect the sub that way, try it via high level direct from your Stereo amp.

6. Razumikhin

Razumikhin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean from the same terminals as the fronts? Or do you mean I should connect the fronts to the sub?

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    As long as your sub can be connected directly to the front terminals (check the manual), try that. If not, then you would have to connect via the sub and filter the signal that way.

8. Razumikhin

Razumikhin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the sub does allow for that connection, but my amp only has one set of speaker terminals and they are occupied by the front speaker cables. (Can't sqeeze anything more in there...)

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Use the sub's high-level connections, in particular if the sub has high-levels out, too (where you then connector your speakers).
    This would also cut the bass from the front speakers, thus avoiding duplication of the same.

Otherwise you can connect the speakers in parallel to the sub's high-level input terminals or make up a cable for sub and fronts that connects to the amp's terminals (i.e. a kind of Y-splitter).

Also wonder what stereo-amp you have since they normally do not have a pre-out for subs ... !?