No stickers/decals on new plasma when it arrived - should I be worried?

J

jameshopkins

Hi there,

My Samsung plasma from PRC Direct arrived last Friday, and am really pleased with it (apart from some image retention - not too suprising though as I am using a console on it in the first 100 hours!).

However, I noticed a couple of things about it when it arrived; when I got it out the box, I was surprised to find that there were no decals or stickers stuck to the top left of the frame, although all the new Sammys (including my model) that I see come with these. Also, there are a couple of marks around the frame (although the screen is perfect)- one is about 1cm in size and appears to be a faint rub/scratch. The other is a very slight chip to the top left edge.

As I've never brought a new TV before, is this something that I should just expect, or shouldn't these be here. Apart from the lack of decals and the two marks, there were no other suggestions to think it was anything other than a new unit - am I just being paranoid here?

Please relieve me of my suspitions!

James

Find out how to get into the service menu and find out how many hours the screen has done. If it similar to what you've used then I wouldn't worry if not send it back.

my panny never had any stickers on, i wouldn't be too happy if it came with stickers on the screen mind! If it's noticeable marked I'd send it back for a replacement

In standby

Press on remote

info - menu - mute - power

service menu pops up with hours used

Remember it will default all your settings so you will have to go back and change them all again

regards

Thanks for your help all - I checked out the number of hours the TV has been on (great little feature that) and it looks all OK. Another question though; to prevent burn-in (I'm obviously using it within the first 100 hours of use and using it mainly for xbox games with some fairly static HUD's), I have taken the measures below:-

- Activating the white-colour screen fill every 15 mins or so
- Displaying analogue white noise whenever I'm home
- Taken Dynamic picture mode off; now displaying Standard.
- Contrast taken down to 38%, and brightness down to 50%.

All these measures combined seem to help loads, but I've also heard about Sammy's DNIE feature and how it's best to switch this off whilst breaking the TV in - how do I turn off this feature for the moment; I can't see anything in the instruction manual.

Thanks for all the help guys

James

I'd just leave it off all the time, it's an option in the normal menus

Jamie

Me thinks you should read the manual

PAGE 22 to be precise

its not difficult just switch it off when in the normal menu - more option

regards

read the relevant owners thread to learn a lot more

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel