1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound with new Pioneer Freeview box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Kristian, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Hi there,

I'm having a problem getting sound from a newly bought Pioneer TF100 Freeview box. I've had a search through this forum but had no joy, hence the post.

When I first tried the box I could only get 6 channels and the sound was virtually nonexistant and popped and stuttered all the time on all the channels - they were never even close to being listenable.

The aerial was changed to a wide band, high gain item - mounted outside as high as it will go on the side of the bungalow. This then gave 59 channels and they all look great (except for the radio ones obviously :D but still no sound on any of them. After turning the box off and on there would be the stuttering and popping sound as there was before the aerial change. Sometimes there would be no sound at all.

I've tried :

a factory restore on the freeview box.

using SCART to connect the freeview box to the TV

using the RF out of the freeview box and tuned in on the TV

a different TV tuned into the RF on the freeview box

And all of these things made no difference to the sound, or lack of I should say. Normal terestrial viewing through the aerial is fine as is using the DVD player.

I've looked at the signal strength on some of the channels and one was 55% with 100% quality, and another was 85% with 100% quality.

I've tried to force a software update but the progress bar hadn't moved off 0% after 20 mins so I gave that up as a bad job. I've left the auto upate setting to on so I will check that again tomorrow night.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it still a signal problem or is the box a duff one?

Hope someone can help.

Regards,

Kris.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I would expect that anything wrong with the signal, enough to mute the sound, would also have a fairly devastating effect on the picture at the same time. And your strength and quality values seem good enough.

Which leads me to suggest that you have a problem either in the box or its connectors. Your statement that the RF (aerial) connection is also silent suggests the box.

However, before you go further, if you haven't already - try

> disconnect the digibox from everything except the aerial downlead and mains supply.

> pull the known good SCART cable out of your DVD player and stick it in your digibox. Set the TV to the input you'd normally use for DVD.

If the problem persists, this would indicate a box problem. If the problem is cured it would indicate a cabling problem.

As for software downloads - they are only broadcast from time to time. If one isn't currently being broadcast, it won't find anything new. For example, Pace broadcast their update for about 48 hours every couple of months. And they only arrive if the box is tuned to a BBC channel.

3. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This sounds like impulsive interference to me. If your aerial is pointing over a road and your digital signal is weakish then the signal will be disrupted by passing traffic.
    If the aerial is nowhere near a road then perhaps the box is faulty.
    The first thing to check is the rf connections and make sure the aerial cable is being fed direct into to the stb.

4. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Thanks for the responses.

Nigel: I'll try your suggestion tonight if I get chance.

Archie Fax: The bungalow is on the edge of a quiet village and the nearest road in the line of the aerial is about 60m away and then it will only have a few cars an hour on it - it's a cul-de-sac. The rest is nowt but fields ;)

The aerial isn't exactly direct into the STB. The aerial is plugged into an amp/distribution unit in the loft and this feeds three cables. The TV (terrestrial) reception on all three TV's is fine. I will try removing the other two feeds out of the amp/dist. and have it just feeding the stb. Then I could try removing the amp completely and just have the aerial dircet to the STB, albeit with one join in the cable.

Regards,

Kris.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The pio box has optical out? Try turning this on/off in settings as that may be the cause, Possibly the distributor too though

6. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Hi HornyDragon,

I don't think you can turn the optical out off altogether but you can change it from PCM to digital out. I've tried it both ways anyway with no joy - not that I'm using it, but I understand why you mention it.

Regards,

Kris.

7. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Morning,

Well I tried a few more things:

Aerial through distributor and known working fully wired QED SQUART lead from stb to TV AV1 and then AV2 - no joy, great picture but no sound.

Aerial through distributor and RF lead from stb to TV - no joy, great picture but no sound.

Aerial straight through (not using distributor) and known working fully wired QED SQUART lead from stb to TV AV1 and then AV2 - no joy, great picture but no sound.

Aerial straight through (not using distributor) and RF lead from stb to TV - no joy, great picture but no sound.

Will take the box back later...

Cheers,

Kris.

8. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Well, after eventually getting through to the staff at Curry's that I thought the box was faulty and them running backwards and forwards to the manager :rolleyes: they agreed to swap the box out. I plugged it in and went though the initial setup, which took all of 2 minutes, we had a great picture and sound :D Looks like it was a faulty box afterall.

Thanks for you help guys.

Regards,

Kris.