1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Sound with DVD Audio on Denon 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by russ123, Oct 14, 2004.

1. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just got my Denon 2910 today :)
    So far so good except for one issue. Having not had a DVD-A player before, I was looking forward to listening to some discs I have instead of just via the standard DVD Video DTS tracks. However when I select this option on the discs, the Denon appears to play but I get no sound from my Yamaha 2400 receiver. Connection is via co-axial cable. Works fine in all other respects and I get 5.1 surround via DTS or DD. Am I missing a simple setting - anyone any ideas???

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    DVD-A (and SACD) doesn't work over the normal digital (optical/co-ax) connections, it's decoded inside the player not the amp, so you need to use the six pre-outs on the back of the player connecting them to the ext-in on your amp. You don't need special leads though, three pairs of normal stereo interconnects will do the job.

Hope this helps.

3. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Was not expecting that. Thought DVD-A would be a step up in sound quality but with it going over analogue cables does it not detract something? Guess I will have to see if it makes a difference and worth increasing the jungle round the back on a permanent basis!

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Its certainly not always the case that digital is better than analogue.

I was advised that listening to music CDs on my 2900 would be better via a stereo analogue connection than using the coax digital. And it is. Use good quality stereo pairs and you'll be fine.