1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound with digital coaxial - OK with phono - rxv450 / dv-rw250h

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by concept2, Jul 31, 2005.

1. concept2

concept2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just installed my first surround setup. A Yamaha rxv450 AV receiver and 5.1 speakers, using my existing sharp dvrw-250h DVD player... Picture is fine - scart from player to TV.

I have a digital coaxial connector on the dvd player and on the 450 and a shiny new cable :). However this does not produce sound through my 5.1 speakers / receiver.

I tried a phono/RCA cable i had lying around between the player and the 450 and it all then works fine. (i guess at reduced quality?)

Question: Should the coaxial be used on its own or do you still have to use the phono / RCA cable as well? It appears to me something is not working and having looked on the net and all through the manuals for both bits of kit here i am. It does not appear you have to enable this output on either unit.

Apologies for the long post - any help appreciated.

Chris

2. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You need just the coaxial cable. The phono will give you sound but not 5.1. Is there any sound set up on the dvd player?

3. concept2

concept2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply - now i know i only need the coax.

The DVD player has an audio option for "dolby digital" or "PCM" ? It is currently on dolby digital.

I have looked in the menus for an entry to switch on the coax outlet but it is not mentioned.

4. Pianist

Pianist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the coaxial sure be used on its own and in you case all you have to is enter the DVD setup menu. select "digital output" something like that. it works.

on the other hand you can also try the "optical" to connect amplifier.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Make sure you are on the right input. As default the Yamaha coax input are usually assigned to a different input than DVD. Try scrolling through all the other source inputs while playing a disc. Or why not try going into the setup menu and assigning it to the right input.

6. concept2

concept2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i will try that - i have looked at the inputs but could not see how to change the default. I have tried a new cable now so feel sure it is a setting somewhere. My worst fear is a fault with player or receiver, but that seems unlikely.

7. concept2

concept2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you - it was the input assignment.

I have assigned the coax to the DVD and it all chimed in across the 5 speakers and all the lights lit up for the dolby bit.

Thanks again for the pointers.