No sound with 4k splitter and HDMI over cat 6

cabey118

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I bought this HDMI over Cat6 splitter and I was using it to watch Sky Q (1080P) on our main TV and also send it to our 2nd TV over Cat6 - it works perfectly for 1080P. Note that we don't watch Sky on the 2nd TV very often (only for the odd F1 race) so it's not worth us paying for multiroom.

We then upgraded to 4K Sky Q (Hardware version 32B240) and using the HDMI over cat6 alone means we can't watch in 4k, so I bought this 4K splitter - with the intention being that I can watch 4K on the main TV and only 1080P on the 2nd TV. However, when I use the splitter AND the HDMI over cat6 there is no sound on the 2nd TV, the picture is perfect! The main TV has a 4K image and good sound.

Both TVs are the same. Samsung UE65TU7100.

I've tested various configurations in order to rule out problems with the 4K splitter and the HDMI over Cat6 but they are working perfectly independently:
  • Sky Q directly into HDMI over Cat6 - Picture and sound on both TVs, albeit at 1080P
  • Sky Q into 4K splitter to 2 TVs (NOT over cat 6) - I had to use an old 1080P TV as the second screen, both TVs working fine with picture and sound
The set up I need consists of Sky Q into the 4K splitter. One output of the 4K splitter directly into the main TV, the 2nd output of the 4K splitter into the HDMI over Cat6. The main TV has picture and sound, the second TV only has picture!

I've tried changing sound settings on the TV and on the Sky Q box but there's no difference.

Does anyone know why the sound won't be getting to the 2nd TV? I realise it's a bit of a complex set up but all parts are working fine independently so it's really confusing me why the sound isn't transferred.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Have you altered the dolby digital/dolby digital plus setting on the Sky box? I have a similar set up whereby i'm scaling one output down and have to have the Sky box set to dolby digital

If I'm honest I can't fully remember what wasn't working about it, maybe it was the flickering - can't be 100% though.

I have the same set up, my 4K signal is going out the splitter and into an extender over cat 5e. I went for the same brand of extender Amazon product ASIN B079FG6XWR

Have you altered the dolby digital/dolby digital plus setting on the Sky box? I have a similar set up whereby i'm scaling one output down and have to have the Sky box set to dolby digital
So I did alter them but it didn't seem to work - but thinking about it maybe I need to alter the setting and restart everything.... I tried so many things that I'm not sure if I did restart everything after I altered that setting.

Thanks for confirming what has worked for you though, I will try it ASAP and let you know

If I'm honest I can't fully remember what wasn't working about it, maybe it was the flickering - can't be 100% though.

I have the same set up, my 4K signal is going out the splitter and into an extender over cat 5e. I went for the same brand of extender Amazon product ASIN B079FG6XWR
Eeek! that's a bit pricey for me - as I say, we only really want the F1 on 2 x per month, just so we can move from room to room without missing anything :D

It could possibly have something to do with the EDID, the splitter I have has auto management

It could possibly have something to do with the EDID, the splitter I have has auto management
Yes maybe - the splitter I have does have settings to copy from the device connected to HDMI 1, and 2 other settings for 5.1 and 7.1 sound... I flicked through them all but might be worth another test of each, again with a full restart

Why do you need to watch one at 4K and one at 1080p if they're both the same tv?

My HDMI over cat 6 isn't capable of transmitting 4k (as far as I can tell anyway). If I connect both TVs using the HDMI over cat 6 then the sky box won't switch into 4k mode

I found that the cheaper devices don't really work so you may need to invest, either that or buy multiroom from sky

And with ‘4K’ you are likely adding HDR into the mix - only a very few devices can pass 4K UHD, with HDR plus down convert to 1080p SDR.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom