1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound when capturing DV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by surefire, Apr 15, 2004.

1. surefire

surefire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I'm rather new to video capture and have a question/problem.

I recently purchased a Canon MV700i digital camcorder. I just recieved a firewire card to pipe the DV into my computer. I want to capture at full DV avi uncompressed so that I can edit and encode to any format I want. The problem is when I use movie maker to capture DV avi (Movie maker is a temporary solution until I purchase something better) I get no sound. If I capture at a lower quality the sound is present when the video plays but of course the video quality is poor. I tried using my friends copy of Pinnacle studio 7 but for some reason it wont run on my PC. I tried using WinDV to capture but there is still no sound when the avi file is played.

Am I doing something stupid? Why Can't I capture sound as well as video when capturing in DV avi? I'm a little baffled.

2. wORKERaNT

wORKERaNT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat. Just purchased a new Firewire card and running on Windows 2000. My camera is a Sony TRV-240 and I'm using Pinnacle 9.3 for capturing and editing.

Video is coming in great. But no sound. I've also tried using the software that came with the card, the software that came with the camera (ImageMixer), and a secondary capture utility that came with Pinnacle. In all cases video, but no sound. I've read that in some cases, the sound doesn't play during the transfer to save memory. However, if I go back and play the .avi file directly through Windows Media Player, there is still no sound.

I don't know if I can change the quality settings (don't want to anyway) but if I dump down the video as anoluge through the USB the sound comes through crystal clear (with poorer quality video).

Any help anyone? Thanks!

3. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use VideoStudio8 for AVI files with my current and previous Sony, never had a sound problem. You can download a trial version from www.ulead.com if you want to test your system, if there is still no sound then it is probably to do with your setup.

4. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Studio 9 and it does suppress the sound when capturing. However the sound is recorded and is ok when playing back the captured video. I think it does mention this in the manual.

5. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think Studio 9 was out yet, never noticed it no thier web site, where did you get it from?

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the problems of people not quoting full names - sallyann is not referring to Ulead VideoStudio (still at 8 ) but Pinnacle Studio 9

7. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BJ.

8. wORKERaNT

wORKERaNT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response! I went back and checked a few other tapes and found the source of the problem.

I'm working with video recorded from iMovie for Mac (recorded on mini-DV with a rented camera; I didn't have a Firewire for my PC at the time and I don't own a mini-DV device so we ran the video through iMovie to put it onto Digital8 to use for editing). Video recorded originally on the Sony but edited and exported back to D8 gives the same result. However, original footage recorded directly is being captured exactly as it should.

So I'm guessing it is an audio format / codec issue -- something iMovie does? Is there any kind of setting I can change or should I just go back to the original mini-DV's and import them directly?

One potential cheat is to capture twice... once to get analogue audio and then digial video and then try to sync. I'll do that if I'm desparate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.