no sound through speakers ... ?

tabs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
am i missing something really simple ? ....

how in gords name do you get the sound from the amp (onkyo 505) to the speakers, i have my ps3 connected via HDMI to the amp, and then HDMI from amp to tv.
i have assigned HDMI in the ps3 settings (picture and audio)

please tell me i'm missing something simple :confused:

am i missing something really simple ? ....

how in gords name do you get the sound from the amp (onkyo 505) to the speakers, i have my ps3 connected via HDMI to the amp, and then HDMI from amp to tv.
i have assigned HDMI in the ps3 settings (picture and audio)

please tell me i'm missing something simple :confused:

Simple question i know but have you selected the output on the amp ???

Simple question i know but have you selected the output on the amp ???

to be honest rains, im not sure anymore, :( ive been on this since 7am and my heads spinning

can you explain what you mean in "numpty" english :lease:

dont suppose there a really decent chap out there who could pm me a contact number and talk me through it .. please

to be honest rains, im not sure anymore, :( ive been on this since 7am and my heads spinning

can you explain what you mean in "numpty" english :lease:

I don't know of that amp but the first thing to try i

1) do you get a picture ?
2) do you get a picture and sound through your TV
3) have you tried optical to the amp?

You may want to ask questions on the onkyo listings or PS3 they may be more help.

You need to break everything down in steps.:smashin:

I don't know of that amp but the first thing to try i

1) do you get a picture ?
2) do you get a picture and sound through your TV
3) have you tried optical to the amp?

You may want to ask questions on the onkyo listings or PS3 they may be more help.

You need to break everything down in steps.:smashin:

hi rains mate ...

1, yes, great picture and sound from tv
2, yes
3, no, i can now get sound from amp to speakers from the sky box, but no sound to the speakers from the ps3, i was under the impression HDMI carried sound aswell as picture ?

Hi Tabs,

Don't know the Onkyo but I've just checked out the manual on line and if you look at page 27 it tells you this:

"However, if you want to listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, in addition to an
HDMI connection, you'll also need to make a separate analog or digital audio connection."

Looks like it's just one of those :rtfm: problems :)

Gordon

Hi Tabs,

Don't know the Onkyo but I've just checked out the manual on line and if you look at page 27 it tells you this:

"However, if you want to listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, in addition to an
HDMI connection, youÂ’ll also need to make a separate analog or digital audio connection."

Looks like it's just one of those :rtfm: problems :)

Gordon

The only problem there is that the PS3 doesn't allow for audio through both optical and HDMI. You have to keep toggling either on or off in the settings

Some claim to have recieved sound through both HDMI (TV) and optical (amp) at the same time but it's supposed to be intermitent at best.

An optical cable from the PS3 to the Onkyo should give sound but i'm afraid you'll just have to accept that when you want it through your TV you'll have to toggle HDMI in the PS3 settings and then toggle optical when you want sound through your speakers/amp.

The good news is that there are many others experiencing the same problem and if previous PS3 flaws are anything to go by (24hz playback etc.) there could well be a fix in a future firmware update.

thankyou very much folks ..

at least now i know its not me being a "gormo" :smashin:

The onkyo 605 can output sound from the HDMI (not just pass it through), right?

Yes the 605 can output PCM 5.1 audio via it's HDMI ports, the 505 only does pass through hence the OP's problem.

Ahh, cheers.
Only 5.1? or 7.1 too?
Sorry I'm so useless! I am looking to buy an Onkyo 605 and then I saw this so I just wanted to check.

Ahh, cheers.
Only 5.1? or 7.1 too?
Sorry I'm so useless! I am looking to buy an Onkyo 605 and then I saw this so I just wanted to check.

most blueray/hddvd are 5.1pcm/truehd only, the more expensive amps will allow you to apply matrix processing to a 5.1pcm track to give you a 6.1/7.1, the 605 doestn't do this i think the more expensive models will. So with the 605 you are stuck with 5.1 pcm, it will do ddex/dtses though from dvds as long as they are decoded by the amp itself and not decoded by the ps3 for instance and sent as 5.1pcm even if the track is 6.1.

But if I was playing a PS3 game with 7.1 surround, would I get that through the amp & speakers, or just 5.1?

But if I was playing a PS3 game with 7.1 surround, would I get that through the amp & speakers, or just 5.1?

if the game has 7.1/6.1 you will get that, i have resistance fall of man and that has a 7.1 pcm track, i only have a 6.1 system but it comes through as 6.1 on my setup.

Ah, good good.
Cheers for that help!
I can see myself getting a 605 at some point this month then. =)

I know this sounds like a daft question but when you connect say your cable box via component to a 605 do you get sound through you tv if the 605 is off or do you just get sound only through the receiver :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom