No sound through HDMI???

T

twobeagles

New guy here. I just bought a Denon DVD player (1920) over the weekend, and I am having trouble hooking it up. I have a 46" Sony CRT TV, a Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX72), and I have a 5.1 speaker setup. I connected the Denon to my system by running an HDMI cable from the Denon to the receiver, and I ran 6 analog RCA cables from the Denon to the receiver (I bought the Denon to mainly listen to SACDs and DVD-audios). The receiver is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. When I played a DVD, the picture was EXCELLENT, but the audio was coming through the TV speakers and not my 5.1 speakers. I then unhooked the HDMI cable and ran component video and optical digital audio cables from the Denon to the receiver. I got picture and 5.1 audio, but the PQ was not nearly as good as it was through the HDMI.

I checked and re-checked the settings on the DVD player and the receiver, and I cannot figure out what is wrong! Can somebody please help?????

Thanks!

:lease:

Welcome to the site :hiya:

I dont think your Denon is capable (HDMI version) of transmitting sound to your very nice Pioneer amp.

I could be wrong though :)

jack daws said:
Welcome to the site :hiya:

I dont think your Denon is capable (HDMI version) of transmitting sound to your very nice Pioneer amp.

I could be wrong though :)

Hmmm. Interesting. Why do you think this? I hope this is not the case!

nick501 said:
46" CRT?? I bet it's a monster!

Thanks. It is a Sony KP-46WT520. I have had it for a year and am completely happy with it. Now if I could just get this DVD issue worked out I'd be set!!!!

:)

Hi,

IIRC to get 5.1 sound out of the HDMI, it needs to be HDMI version 1.1 or more. Could be wrong on this though. I think the Denon will only do HDMI 1.0 which is full digital video, but only 2.0 stereo. I don't think there are many DVD's yet that will output full 5.1 over HDMI, and just as few receivers.

Cheers

Andy

Checking the DVD-1920 manual, now I am not sure. The manual is a bit unclear, and doesn't give the example of sending HDMI through an amp. But it seems to suggest the 1920 will output a full multi channel signal, page 15 of the manual.

I can't find an online manual of the VSX-72TXV to confirm if it is that instead not being able to decode the HDMI audio signal sent from the 1920.

I have no idea what I am talking about, just making it worse :rolleyes:

LFCRules said:
Hi,

IIRC to get 5.1 sound out of the HDMI, it needs to be HDMI version 1.1 or more. Could be wrong on this though. I think the Denon will only do HDMI 1.0 which is full digital video, but only 2.0 stereo. I don't think there are many DVD's yet that will output full 5.1 over HDMI, and just as few receivers.

Cheers

Andy

The Denon 1920 that I got has HDMI version 1.1, so it should output 5.1 audio like DD and DTS. In fact, in the DVD player's setup menu, you have the option of HDMI two-channel or HDMI multi-channel.

Any other thoughts?

LFCRules said:
Checking the DVD-1920 manual, now I am not sure. The manual is a bit unclear, and doesn't give the example of sending HDMI through an amp. But it seems to suggest the 1920 will output a full multi channel signal, page 15 of the manual.

I can't find an online manual of the VSX-72TXV to confirm if it is that instead not being able to decode the HDMI audio signal sent from the 1920.

I have no idea what I am talking about, just making it worse :rolleyes:

Do you think the problem could be with my receiver? How would I even go about checking this?

Ok, found an online copy of the Pioneer Manual. Have you got the AV Options on the HDMI to be AMP instead of THROUGH? Page 64 of the manual. This should allow the audio to come out of the AMP instead of being passed through to your TV.

Other than that, I am stumped :( The 1920 does output 1.1, the Pioneer accepts 1.1. Needs someone else with experience of both to confirm.

Cheers

Andy

LFCRules said:
Ok, found an online copy of the Pioneer Manual. Have you got the AV Options on the HDMI to be AMP instead of THROUGH? Page 64 of the manual. This should allow the audio to come out of the AMP instead of being passed through to your TV.

Other than that, I am stumped :( The 1920 does output 1.1, the Pioneer accepts 1.1. Needs someone else with experience of both to confirm.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the help, Andy. I am leaving work now, so I will check on this on the receiver and let you know how it works out tomorrow.

Good Day!

LFCRules said:

Cheers

Andy

Thanks, Andy - that did the trick. I really appreciate your help!!!

hmm....i know u said u checked the settings, but im gonna ask the questions below, just in case you overlooked one or didnt check it properly, amazing how easy that is sometimes...

firstly on the DVD player you have it set to output HDMI sound at 5.1.....
secondly, on the amp, you have it set to switch the sound out of the HDMI to the amp, i dont know what the option will be called or say but basically you want to make sure you dont have it set as something like pass-through as that means the signal is being taken all the way to the TV.....
thirdly on the amp you do not have it set to EXT input, because that will just use your 5.1 from the phono connections from DVD player, except its possible that if you have the DVD player set to output HDMI sound it may cancel the phono outs.....

anyway, i hope you get it sorted.....

lol, i post a moment too late...heh

twobeagles said:
Thanks, Andy - that did the trick. I really appreciate your help!!!

:thumbsup: Good news.

Someone taking full advantage of HDMI for video and audio, a proper one cable solution. I bet it looks a lot better than my speghetti set-up behind my AMP :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:

twobeagles (or anyone who knows), can you please confirm if the Denon 1920 has the "Farouja DCDi FLI-2301" scaler (like they have in the Denon site) or is it just a typo an in fact it has the "Farouja DCDi FLI-2310" :)

Thanks in advance!

Spacedog said:
twobeagles (or anyone who knows), can you please confirm if the Denon 1920 has the "Farouja DCDi FLI-2301" scaler (like they have in the Denon site) or is it just a typo an in fact it has the "Farouja DCDi FLI-2310" :)

Thanks in advance!

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I would be happy to check that this evening when I get home.

BTW, the 1920 puts out a great picture and the sound is great. I listened to Dark Side of the Moon (SACD) yesterday and was blown away.

I recommend this player if you are like me and didn't feel like forking over >$1k right before HD-DVD/Blue Ray players hit the market.

LFCRules said:
:thumbsup: Good news.

Someone taking full advantage of HDMI for video and audio, a proper one cable solution. I bet it looks a lot better than my speghetti set-up behind my AMP :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It looks better and the PQ and sound are TERRIFIC!! The picture is noticably better with HDMI than with component video, at least on my TV.

Thanks again. :)

Spacedog said:

Thanks in advance!

I checked my 1920, the spec sheet, and the manual that came with it, and I could not find your answer. Sorry.
:confused:

Thank you Jase! That was helpfull... :thumbsup:

Interesting... it seems like the FLI2301 is only used in the Denon 1920 for progressive scan, the upscaling is being done by a Silicon Image chip...

I wonder if that's better than the Faroudja upscaling... :confused:

Guys, I'd like to elaborate a bit here. I recently bought Logitech's Z5500 surround speakers. I'm also planning on getting a DVD player that supports HDMI. The plan is this. There will go an optical cable from the hardware decoder of the speakers to the DVD player itself while the HDMI cable will go from the player to the display (likely a Sony V40 or Phillips 37PF9830).

I've done this same thing between my Xbox and old JVC DVD player except with scart (The Xbox' advance pack) rather than HDMI going from the xbox to the CRT. Obviously, it works.

Am I to understand the situation is more complex now because of the HDMI factor?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom