1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound through coax connections from DV79 to AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by glimball, Jan 2, 2005.

1. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I had AVR300 + DV79 all going so well but made a couple of errors.

1. used Rainbow 5 from wireworld to connect all DVD-A outputs / inputs - even though I have no DVDA to play - thought I'd be ready for the future but all I did was confuse the issues!

2. assumed that (following excellent advice from Barend) that the low volume on CD was due to sensitivity setting - changed that but also removed L and R from DVDA inputs to CD inputs - increased volume due to this change rather than sensitivity change. Should know at my age to change only one variable at a time!

Problem: to hear surround sound when using my Infocus 7205 I have to use DVDA input setting on AVR300. I am getting no sound through the coax connection.

The onscreen three-second display states that the audio input to the DVD port is analogue not digital.

Possible answers??? Coax from DV79 not delivering digital sound or Cable malfunction or inout to AVR300 malfunction.

Changed cable - still no sound.

Purchased optical cable - digital sound transmitted but have to use different input (PVR) to DVD and not re-assignable.

Summary

can watch DVD and get surround sound if I use the DVDA analogue inputs but if I want to listen to stereo CD I have to unplug front L and R and put them in CD inputs.

cannot get anything through the coax - AVR says that an analogue signal is coming through

Optical connection works but there is no optical DVD input even though there is an optical output from the DV79

Can anybody help? Am I missing something really simple and dumb or is the coax output (DV79) or input (AVR300) just not functioning?; I've read the manuals and scoured the set-up menus. I've got a couple of other problems too - but would like to solve this first.

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You could reassign the optical input to DVD in the setup menus, this is described in the manual. However it should work from the coax input. Check that the input is not set to direct mode. Try a different one of the coax inputs and see if that works. If it doesn't try another cable, even an analogue audio cable should get a signal to the digital input, it may not sound great but it should work. If it doesn't work with a different cable, if you can, try the DVD player with another surround decoder (possibly a friends?) that way you can see if it is the DVD or the surround decoder. If one of the two seems to be faulty then please take it to your dealer and ask them to test it there.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Also make sure the audio ouptut settings on the player are set to 6 Channel/Bitstream

4. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, thanks for your response ..... I thought I'd read the manual but missed bit about de-assigning inputs only assignable to one button .... can now re-assign optical but don't need to.

Tried new coax and other inputs but no go. All AVR300 menu options set, as far as i could ascertain, correctly.

Eventually solved the problem. I implemented 'Force DVI' on the DV79 and the coax outputs / inputs now work. Is this something that should have been obvious to me?? Still don't really understand the logic - would be grateful for an explaination.

Anyway, a spin-off is that the optical cable I bought is now connecting my Sat box to the AVR300.

Now ... I still find the volume levels a little disappointing, I have adjusted the trim and this helps the analogue settings but I am concerned about the hit on quality. Level through the co-ax sems a liittle low using a (pretty poorly recorded) BBC DVD but haven't really tested it yet with a good DVD soundtrack.

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Please can you explain a bit more what the problem you are having with the volume levels is. You will get a differnet levels from different sources, usually you find that a CD player is louder than a DVD. This is because more head room is allowed for in DVD's so that they can have really loud crashes and bangs for effects.

The DV79 has two setts of analogue outputs for L and R so that you can connect one set to the CD input and the other set with the surrounds to the DVD-A input.

Adjusting the sensitivity in the AVR300 will not adversly affect the quality unless you make it so sensitive it is forced into clipping. (There is a clip detector active in the level settings menu so play some loudly recorded music whilst you are setting the levels to check its not clipping )

I will ask the DVD team about the settings on the DV79 for coax out.

Regards,
    Andrew