1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound out of Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j0nners, Nov 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've just bought a 3805 amp, plus a 3910 DVD, and a JS Scart to component converter, and after wiring up everything (bar rear speakers and the soon to be delivered subwoofer) and switching it all on I can get a picture but no sound.

I connected the freeview component into the "Video 1" component input and the freeview audio (2x RCA) into the TV audio input. When the freeview picture actually appeared on the DBS input, I tried the DBS input for the audio, though that was silent too.

The DVD player gives the same result. The amp did recognise the Denon iLink signal ("Dlink" appeared in the LCD) without actually playing any sound.

I thought at first I might need to go through the auto EQ process which I did - during this each of the three speakers did play the test tone so they're working. I also tried plugging some headphones into the amp to check if it was something to do with the speaker configuration but I got no sound out of those either.

I've tried turning the volume up to -50dB with no result.

Even though I don't yet have the subwoofer, I have left the cable plugged in - this wouldn't be a problem?

I've had a look through some of the older "No audio on my 3805" posts in this forum, but nothing seemed to help. One person mentioned changing their RCA audio cable - which i tried to no avail.

Any help appreciated...

Jon

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Do you get any sound with Headphones, (that is if you have a headphone socket on the front)

3. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, i tried that - no sound out of the headphones either.

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Dare I say it, has a "Mute" button been pressed ? Is there anything shorting out the speaker sockets at the back ? Can you connect something, anything to the front inputs and get the amp to make a noise ?

Mike.

5. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not aware of muting it - i can't see a mute indicator. i would have thought changing the volume would have cancelled it. i'll double check though.

I think the speakers are ok since on the auto EQ they produced a test tone. Even they were at fault i would have expected the head phones to work.

6. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Radio? Does that work?

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The radio will be a good test but have you correctly assigned the digital audio inputs and component video inputs to the same 'function/input' - if you have plugged the freeview box into the TV audio in analogue sockets then you should set up the Video 1 to show on the TV function/input otherwise you should be hearing the sound on one selection and the video on another.

8. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Astaroth :-
    > The radio will be a good test
    i'll try that tonight.

> but have you correctly assigned the digital audio inputs and component video inputs
    > to the same 'function/input'
    the audio is via the RCA inputs so is analogue.

> - if you have plugged the freeview box into the TV audio in analogue sockets then
    > you should set up the Video 1 to show on the TV function/input otherwise you
    > should be hearing the sound on one selection and the video on another.
    i couldn't hear the sound on any of the inputs - i tried every input via the input selector, and also plugged the RCA's into every audio input whilst i had the input set such that the video worked.

9. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Amp set to AUTO so that it locks automatically onto any incoming signal? Also, -50db is quite low on the Volume, try turning it up higher to -30db or so.

10. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aha - the radio does work, though you're right - i needed to punch the vol up to hear it.

A call to the dealer this evening fixed it. It turns out the Scart cable is RGB only so that's why there was no sound from freeview, and on the 3910 a audio setting needed changing to output on the iLink.

:)

11. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Slightly off-topic, but can you confirm that you have the DVD-3910 connected to the AVR-3805 via the Denon iLink only and that everything (audio) works correctly?

Iwas recently told that the Denon iLink stuff was not enable in their device yet and would require a firmware upgrade (at cost) at a later date to make it function.

Thanks in advance.

12. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SACD via Denon Link is still not enabled until Sony give the go ahead (don't hold your breath!). Everything else should work ok.

13. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So far i'm only using it for DVD audio (i.e. DVD film audio) and it works fine. I have no other audio connection between the 3910 and the 3805 so it is definitely using the iLink.

14. J&B

J&B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm.

3910 to 3805 Denon Link, no others connections.

played so far DVA,DVD and CD's , works just fine...