1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no sound on video playback or music, just updated Xp from microsoft site, what to do?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by stolt, Oct 31, 2004.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi as far as I can remember I had sound on playback of videos and also if I went into itunes I could playback music no problem, I updated my xp from the microsoft website the other night and now I cannot get any sound out of the laptop at all Ive check the settings I can see and the sound is right up!

I also to be above to clone the laptop screen via my tv to playback films, picture slides etc, now the pictures are showing in black and white.
    Not sure if this is just conincidence or something else but I dont remember touching anything else.

Any help would be much appreciated I'm not too computer literate so feel out of my depth here.
    I own a dell inspion 8100 running xp if that helps.

thanks for taking the time to read this

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is this XP SP2? At the time SP2 was first released there were warnings about SP2 on Inspirons, Dell helpfully commented to the effect that "we don't support the application of patches" .. yeah, really, that's the stance they took. :rolleyes:

I don't recall the details (something about performance dropping like a stone) but I had a note passed to me at work where some of sour salesforce have these so we could stop them updating their machines.

If it is SP2 then allegedly you can use the System Restore point it created when you installed, I've never tried that though. If it isn't an SP2 issue then I think you'll have to call Dell.

3. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the quick reply, I diid install the SP2 pack..... sounds like my kind of luck, I wouldnt even know how to use the system restore point to get back to where i was before I install it. After several people moaning saying I should update my computer when I feinally do I get all these problems wish I hadnt touched it now... can you give me any advice on the system restore point or is that something that amateurs shouldnt touch....

thanks once again

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Be aware, I haven't done this myself since I disable System Restore (I use Ghost to image the system before making this sort of change) .. right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab. This is where you configure it, I don't know what you see when you have restore points or how you revert using one, if it isn't obvious then I'm afraid someone else will have to point you in the right direction.

Sorry I can't help you here, but it's certainly not one of those things amateurs shouldn't touch :)

Just one thing, you didn't download the Media Player 10 update as well did you? That may be the thing that broke your media playback, if so it claims to be uininstallable using Add/Remove programs.

5. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i did download media 10 player, and have been using it for a while, but also have zoom player and divx and none of the have sound either, strange because as I said I cant even play music through itunes now, you can see it playing but just no sound. Thanks for your advice about the system restore point I dont think I'd tackle that just yet :)

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I guess then it's not MP10, something in the latest set of patches and/or just SP2 broke things, sadly SP2 is known to cause problems with hardware for which drivers haven't been updated. Have you checked Dell's site to see if there are any driver updates for SP2 problems?

7. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no I havent actually Ive just been searching around via google about dell and sp2 and I see what you mean serious problems for lots of ppl. I'll have a look at the dell site and see if i can find anything.... is there an easy way to uninstall sp2?

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's what the System Restore will do for you. When SP2 installed itself it created a 'restore point', it's that which System Restore uses to remove SP2 from the system.

It's analogous to uninstalling using Add/Remove Programs, but works in a completely different way .. I just don't know how you perform the task since I've never used restore points at all.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    There is an uninstall option for SP2, I'm pretty sure you can just go into Control Panel/Add Remove Programs and then click on Windows SP2.
    I uninstalled on one of my computers a month or so back because it messed up my mouse.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, so System Restore is used 'behind the scenes' and triggered using Add/Remove? Lacking any experience I presumed it was invoked differently.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    No, System Restore is a menu option in Programs/Accessories/System Tools and can be used at any time. The Uninstall Option for SP2 is specifically to remove Service Pack 2 and will not change anything else that has been changed on the system since then. I think Microsoft had to give people an easy escape route if they had problems !
    Microsoft help

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek: .. so it is, never knew that .. but anything in a menu 3 levels down is easy to overlook. ;)