No sound on ATV help

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Dave Bartram, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Dave Bartram

Dave Bartram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Guys

Bought a second Apple TV yesterday for my little lads bedroom. Set it up in the lounge to test yesterday and all is good. Set it up in his room today and only get sound with certain films/TV Shows. Lounge set up is optical to 5.1 Amp, his room HDMIor Component direct to TV so I'd imagine this is dependant on how the original DVD was ripped. Will the ATV not play back 5.1 material through HDMI/Component if not being fed to a 5.1 device i.e stereo TV?

Playing the same files through FR on the iMac plays fine in stereo.

Dave

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    From what I remember the ATV will not downconvert 5.1 into stereo and feed it through the analogue outs. The ATV option for Handbrake includes both an AAC stereo soundtrack for playback via the analogues and the 5.1 stream for use via the digital out.

The same is probably true via the HDMI if there is only a 5.1 soundtrack then the ATV will only output stereo if there is only a stereo sound track.

Hope this helps.

Dave

3. Dave Bartram

Dave Bartram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Cheers Fella, what I was thinking. Pretty sure most of my stuff was encoded in 5.1 only as it was all I needed. Good news is that I only need to re-encode the stuff for the bedroom ATV (about 50 DVD's) rather than all 300 :) Doing some tests now to see what happends.

Cheers

Dave