1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound in any surroundmode (sherwood 956r)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kharom, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Kharom

Kharom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi!
    first post on this board, so, let me start with:
    hiya all! ;o)

now, my sherwood 956r reciever arrived today and I was pretty excited about that.
    I owned an onkyo dolby pro logic amplifier for over 6 years and finally switched over to dolby digital, and was planning to go 6.1

but, after I tested the stereo output and was satisfied with the performance, I plugged in my center, rear speakers and a passive sub (an active sub will replace the passive sub soon, but this speaker setting worked fine with my old amplifier) and got no sound at all.
    I tried to get dts output trying the star wars episode2 dvd.
    the dvd player is a yamakawa 715, I tried a coax and a optical cable.
    no sound.

to cut it short, analogue - stereo worked, all other modes provided no sound. that includes dvd playback, cd playback, dolby pro logic (which is switched to when I select "auto select" playing the dvd), even the phantom surround mound called "tusurround" results in silence.

any ideas?

thanks,
    kharom

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kharom,

Have you made sure that digital output is on in the setup of the DVD player? This sounds like the most likely cause.

3. Kharom

Kharom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, I selected digital output,
    but anyway, afaik, dolby prologic is analogue, right?
    so, the amp should be able to get a dolby prologic output with:
    center, front, rear, sub speakers connected
    cd - amp connected via cinch
    stereo only output is working
    switching over to a surround mode, including the "trusurround" mode which is supposed to simulate a non existing surround speaker setting with onyl two speakers, does result in no sound.

plus, whatever setting I change with the dvd player, there should be, even with no media and no dvd player attached, a test signal?

is it necessary for the dolby digital/dolby prologic to work properly that all speakers are correctly attached, thus, maybe one defect cable corrupting the whole set?

greetz,
    kharom

p.s.: my fear is I have to return the amp, but wanna make sure first I am not to dumb to set it up correctly :eek:)
    so, input about what to check for with dts/6.1 setups is highly appreciated

4. Kharom

Kharom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, I called tech support and the guy told me, that I would have to select the
    correct input.
    I was figuring out that may be a reason, but to me, the only selections are
    "digital/analog" whilst the support guy said there would be a further option to
    select
    weither optical or coax input, cant see that though, I press the digital/analog
    button and
    on osd the only options are d/a too.

any ideas?

thansk,
    tomi // kharom

5. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My Dolby digital disapeared the other day.... turns out that setting my DVD to PCM output was the cause. I had a DVD-R that would only work with the PCM set to on. Chaging it back got it back.