No Sound Help! - Yamaha RXA2A

Zursen

Hi Guys,

I have a simple issue that you might be able to help with. I can't get sound to work when watching anything on my LG C9 TV. I have a high quality HDMI cable going from ARC on my TV to the HDMI Out on the AVR. Yet I'm getting no sound at all. I have my Nvidia shield connected to the HDMI 2 and I get sound from that fine, but why not the TV? The reason I ask is because I can't do Dolby Vision content on my Nvidia Shield & Yamaha AVR which hopefully they will fix in a future firmware update. So I was told to plug the Nvidia Shield directly into the TV and then I can watch Dolby Vision content without issues that way. Well I tried it and I can't get sound to work this way!

I'm fairly new to all this and the Yamaha AVR seems quite problematic to me.

Any ideas?

dobrykamil

Did you enable Hdmi control (CEC)?

Zursen

Just in case it the TV side which I suspect it is, please watch LG's little video on how to get it working
Just watched that video now and it's all pretty basic stuff in the video. Cable connected via correct slots (ARC), HDMI turned on on both devices, ARC turned on via both devices etc. The correct input is chosen (TV aka HDMI 1/HDMI Out).

I'm sure it has to be something simple right? What else could I check?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
It's usually something very simple when these things don't work hence the video as its sometimes the most obvious things that we all over look. Have you tried swapping the HDMI cable just in case its being naughty

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Make sure you have follow all the steps on page 69, 124, 203, 209 and 250 in the manual. I feel you have done all of these, but its a double check for the simple things again as I mentioned, they're usually obvious ones which can sometimes get missed when looking to hard :)

Zursen

It's usually something very simple when these things don't work hence the video as its sometimes the most obvious things that we all over look. Have you tried swapping the HDMI cable just in case its being naughty
I'm so confused! I have 2 HDMI cables, lovely uGreen ones. They have been working fine. So I when I read this I was like 'no way is a cable being naughty' so I swapped them anyway even though I've done it before. Sound works?! Wow one cable musta been broken, switch them back around and sound is still working fine even on the 'broken' cable. Maybe I didn't have the cables seated correctly? I 100% even went over and checked they were pushed in, I build PC's and I know when you have an issue booting, check that you seated stuff correctly.

So now Nvidia Shield sound is working & TV sound is working so it must have been the cable not in correctly. This has happened before though, I 'fix' it, then the next day turn on the TV.... No sound again lol!!!!

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Glad its working for you. I sometimes think that these digital signals somehow get stored with some one's and zero's (being naughty as I've said) getting stuck along the way. It's one of life's little oddities

I once had one product which only failed when a customer looked at it. It didn't matter what I plugged into it or how often I tested it, when a customer looked at it, it would always fail via the HDMI connection. It was one of the worst products I'd ever used (I will not mention the brand though as it would be embarrassing. Thankfully this was in the early days of HDMI and that product has long since been discontinued) and it was the only of only a hand full of products I'd ever sent back to the manufacturers

Zursen

Glad its working for you. I sometimes think that these digital signals somehow get stored with some one's and zero's (being naughty as I've said) getting stuck along the way. It's one of life's little oddities

I once had one product which only failed when a customer looked at it. It didn't matter what I plugged into it or how often I tested it, when a customer looked at it, it would always fail via the HDMI connection. It was one of the worst products I'd ever used (I will not mention the brand though as it would be embarrassing. Thankfully this was in the early days of HDMI and that product has long since been discontinued) and it was the only of only a hand full of products I'd ever sent back to the manufacturers
Maybe I was that customer lol

Thanks for all your help ;)

Zursen

Hey Shane,

Just wanted to update this to see if you know what's causing this 'hassle'.

So yesterday, delighted with fixing it we ordered some pizza's n sat down to watch a 4k movie. I load it all up and what happens? No sound!!! That was via Kodi on the Nvidia shield. Switched to TV/Netflix as a test, that also has no sound. So I unplug the HDMI from my TV to the AVR, replug it in and boom I have sound on TV/Netflix. I go to Nvidia shield and the movie, still no sound. I unplug the HDMI again and replug it, still no sound. I wasn't bothered playing around with it, so I just connected the Nvidia Shield to the AVR directly and I know I will get audio this way without issues.

So it seems unplugging the HDMI and replugging it is some kind of fix, but it's not bulletproof.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd simply be reinstogating a new HDMI handshake between the devices if unplugging and then reconnecting the HDMI leads. The devices in question should do this anyway whenever you power them back up from standby or even if simply selecting a different source onboard the AVR?

If the issue is in association with ARC then it could be a cable issue. A large number of issues associated with ARC are resolved by simply replacing the cable between a TV and the AVR. After saying this, there are also a lot of issues caused by the way in which ARC has been implemented by the TV and or AVR manufacturer and these issues would require the intervention of the manufacturers to address this via a firmware revision.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom