No sound from xbox via home cinema system

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by darylt66, Dec 30, 2011.

1. darylt66

darylt66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I would like to do -

Prior to purchasing Xbox I have had the Surround sound connected to TV via scart cable – with this set up the TV would work on either LG unit or direct TV volume. I connected Xbox to TV via cable supplied with Xbox but can only get sound via TV volume (not through surround speakers).
    I would like to Connect LG home cinema system to Xbox 360 and HD screen (both with 5.1 surround sound system via digital audio and video).
    I purchased a HDMI cable and digital audio (optical cable) hoping to achieve the above via some guidance I have found on the internet. I have connected hdmi from Xbox to TV and optical cable from LG surround sound directly to TV but don't have any sound on TV or Xbox. The only way I can get sound back to the TV is by reinserting the scart into TV and LG home cinema box. At this stage the xbox will only work via TV volume. To be fair to the guidance on that website, it does mention that settings will need to be changed on equipment but unfortunately I cannot find anything in the equipment menus that will allow this to happen.
    Equipment –
    LG (HT805TH) 5.1 DVD home cinema system. Connections atrear – Scart, HDMI out (Interface for digital audio and video), Optical in,Video out, Component video connections & Aux (L/R) input.

TV – Samsung LE40A556P1F 40” LCD. Connections on rearinclude a Digital audio out (optical), 3 x HDMI in connections and variousothers. Interestingly, the digital audio out section states that “when a HDMI in jack is connected, the digital audio optical out jack on TV outputs 2 channel audio only”.
    XBOX 360 – HDMI and digital audio connection.
    Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you,
    Daryl

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. darylt66

darylt66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apolagise all I have just cracked it! connected hdmi from xbox to tv, optical audio cable from LG surround sound to TV and changed surround sound setting to Aux OPT - xbox and tv now working through speakers!:)

Daryl

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    Be aware you won't be getting true surround sound using your method, just stereo.

To get DD5.1 out of your 360 you need to connect it directly to your home cinema system via optical and set the 360 to output Dolby Surround in the options.

To get audio from the TV through your home cinema you could always just use some red/white phono cables or the scart method you were using before.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. darylt66

darylt66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Indiana,

Thanks for reply. Could I get DD5.1 to work on both TV and XBox 360 as there is only one optical audio connection on LG home cinema system? your advice and solution (if there is one) would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Daryl

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    Your TV will only output stereo so no need to connect it via optical, leave that for the 360.

6. darylt66

darylt66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, great - Apologise but I did not see the last part of your previous email when I had responded.
    1. Will scart or red/white cables be best (quality of stereo sound) for tv connection?
    2.Does this also mean that when I play a dvd on home cinema system that I only get stereo sound and not surround sound output on my TV?

Thanks again,

Daryl

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    1. I don't think there will be a noticeable difference

2. I assume your DVD player is part of the home cinema system with the speakers connecting directly to it? if so then it will be outputting surround sound as that is what it's main function is, connecting other devices to get surround sound is a bonus