No sound from VGA lead on a samsung lcd.

chief barker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My son has just bought a samsung SM940MW 19" LCD, but we have no sound when using the Microsoft VGA lead. We have tried using the component lead and the sound works through that.

I have made sure that the phono plugs are correctly inserted but have come up with nothing. I would ideally like to use the VGA lead as it has a vastly superior picture to component.

We have set the sound to analogue in the xbox sound settings screen.

Any ideas guys and gals?

Thanks in advance.

I could be wrong but the problem will probably be that the VGA input on your Samsung has no provision for sound input, and the sockets you are plugging into are probably for the component connection or one of the other connections.

I know that's the case on my Samsung LCD, and I just use an optical lead to my amplifier.

chief barker said:
I have made sure that the phono plugs are correctly inserted but have come up with nothing. I would ideally like to use the VGA lead as it has a vastly superior picture to component.
How do you have the phono plugs connected? What are they plugged into exactly?

I believe you need to use an adapter to plug in the audio on the Samsung via VGA (well you do on mine anyway!): the red and whites need to connect to the small single socket next to the VGA input using one of these:

minijack_rca.jpg

That's what I was getting at. It strikes me that the OP might not have it hooked up correctly.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem. Found the answer on another forum - unfortuantley I can't remember exactly where!

The Samsung links each video input with one audio input - if your TV is like mine the audio input that links to VGA is a single 3.5mm stereo input.

There are two ways to get things to work

1) Buy something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34196&doy=23m8&C=SEO&U=strat15 which should convert the two phono connections on your VGA cable to the 3.5mm stereo on the TV

2) Buy a surround sound system with optical inputs - the VGA lead should have optical audio as well

Haven't decided which way to go with mine yet. I'd love to get a decent surround system - but I suspect the missus will put a stop to that and I'll be off to Maplins... ;)

EDIT - Oops - a bit slow there.

The official MS VGA lead comes with the 2 phono to jack adapter.

Ah didnt know there was an audio-in for the VGA input, just assumed there wasn't.

Munkey Boy said:
I believe you need to use an adapter to plug in the audio on the Samsung via VGA (well you do on mine anyway!): the red and whites need to connect to the small single socket next to the VGA input using one of these:

minijack_rca.jpg

Job done!

Thanks to all of you for the input.

I still don't fully understand why we can get sound when connected via the component cable, and the phono's plugged into the L and R audio inputs on the LCD.

I must be getting old.

Thanks again.

BTW we paid £300 for this LCD at Argos and the picture quality on the XBOX360 is simply superb.

hi.
my samsung has a 3.5mm sound input socket next to vga input socket.
you need an adapter from somewhere like maplins.
just like the ad adapter thats already been posted.
cheers ian.

chief barker said:
I still don't fully understand why we can get sound when connected via the component cable, and the phono's plugged into the L and R audio inputs on the LCD.
It's because the Component and VGA inputs use different AV channels and each require separate inputs for their audio.

I wouldn't worry though: you aren't the first person to get confused by this and you certainly won't be the last.
ian flowers said:
hi.
my samsung has a 3.5mm sound input socket next to vga input socket.
you need an adapter from somewhere like maplins.
just like the ad adapter thats already been posted.
cheers ian.
Thanks for the input, but I think the OP has:

a) Already worked this out via the info provided by people in this thread, and;
b) Already has the aforementioned adapter because it comes supplied with the official Microsoft VGA cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom