No sound from TV. Picture OK

PAPJ

Novice Member
I have a Mac laptop connected to my 40L2450VE Toshiba with a HDMI adapter. No sound despite the audio cable connected to the TV. Help appreciated.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Mentions of 'adapters' and 'audio cables' suggest the problem could be that whatever connection you're using won't carry audio between those devices. Can you expand on exactly which ports, cables and intermediary devices you're using?

PAPJ

Novice Member
Picture OK. Macbook is connected to TV using HDMI adapter. And RCA audio connector cable between macbook to TV. Oddly enough, this combination works when macbook is connected to another TV.

mikej

Do you have the audio cable connected to the TV's composite inputs ? I would imagine the TV will only accept audio and video via the same cable, so HDMI in this case. If you change the TV's input to the composite sockets, you'll get the audio and no video, presumably.

Does the MacBook not output audio over HDMI ? I'm not familiar with Apple products, but on a Windows machine, you would have to go in to the audio settings and select HDMI as the output for audio.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Doubtful that the phonos on the tv are inputs, unless it's quite an old or basic tv.

Hdmi should fully support audio, but you may need to set it on the mac.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Doubtful that the phonos on the tv are inputs, unless it's quite an old or basic tv.

Hdmi should fully support audio, but you may need to set it on the mac.
Any RCA Phono sockets on modern TV's ARE inputs.
It's Audio out Phono's on TV's they've done away with.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Any RCA Phono sockets on modern TV's ARE inputs.
It's Audio out Phono's on TV's they've done away with.
I was meaning it would be a composite or component input rather than assignable to a digital input. It existed on older tvs but I've not seen it for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom