No sound from sub??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by psycho74, Feb 1, 2009.

1. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi guys, the audio equipment in my sig is all new and it's my first setup so this is probably a simple thing to fix. Right let me explain, the sub has been plugged directly into the tv for a while until i've had the time to get the speakers wall mounted etc. The sub works fine into the tv but when i run the ypao thingy on the receiver it never found any sub connected and so no sound, even though the light on the back of the sub is on and when you pull the cable either out of the sub or the receiver you get a loud bass thump but then nothing so i know it wants to work there's just something that needs enabling somewhere or something but ****ed if i know!! I hope there's someone out there who has experienced this problem and can help me :lease:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  2. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    so your Sub is not actually connected to the reciver?

or if it is is it connected to the amp it is connected to the sub OUT and not the sub IN ?

3. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    well there are two subwoofer sockets on the receiver but it does'nt say which one is which but neither work.

4. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    and yes it is plugged into the amp, sorry.

5. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    Perhaps the auto set up is not detecting the sub. Try turning the sub volume up and running the auto cal again. Or go into speakers settings and make sure the SW = yes.

6. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Righty ho, turned everything up to max on the sub and ran the auto setup again, it recognised the sub so thought everything was fine but with movies or music the sub aint working!!:suicide:

7. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not sure what i'm doing wrong, why does the sub rumble during the test tone but then stay silent during -THE DARK KNIGHT (BLURAY) or any cd you care to mention?! Cant find anywhere in the menus where you can enable the subwoofer manually but surely if it works during test tones then it should during playback!?! :( :suicide:

8. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Manual here :

Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver Owner's Manual

Gives instruction on how to access the manual set up and lots about bass outputs etc. Specifically from page 73. page 92 gives some info too.

9. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    ok, so i've had a good delve tru the manual (thanx stoatman) everything is in the bass out menus have subwoofer selected but still nothing. This is driving me crazy, it should be simple but for some reason it does'nt want to play ball! :mad:

10. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well it seems i may have solved the problem by setting all my speakers to small rather than large as they were set by the auto calibration thingy, not sure if this is the best setting performance-wise but at least i'm getting some grunt from the woofer! If anybody knows of a better solution then please let me know, cheers! :thumbsup:

11. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Sounds right thats how alot of people have it set up , including myself. Sometimes though there is an option to send "bass out" to sub or both ie front speakers and sub . Although the way you have it now seems spot on to me as your speakers only go to 55hz.

12. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The normal advice is to set your speakers to small.

When you set your speakers to Large the AVR will send the full range of the signal of each channel to the relevant speaker, the only stuff that goes to the sub is the .1 track.

When the speakers are set to small, you specify a crossover frequency (normally) so that the AVR sends the information that is above that frequency from each channel to the relevant speaker, and the information that is below that frequency to the sub*. You can often specify different crossover frequencies for each speaker pair.

* It's not actually a hard above/below cutoff as the signal is rolled off either side, but for simplicity can think of it as such.

13. psycho74

psycho74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just goes to show how much WHATHIFI knows then cos on they're website they've got a video on how to setup your amp and speakers and they say that unless you have very small style type speakers you should always set your speakers to large! :eek:

http://whathifi.com/Video/Set-up-your-AV-receiver/Vidcasts/