No sound from PCH A-110

witters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a picture but no sound. All settings appear to be OK. I just have an hdmi cable connected to my Onkyo 805. Can anyone help please?

lets make it simple
plug it into the tv directly do u get sound?

try other hdmi cable, do u get sound?
try other AV cables do you get sound?

try and see where the problem is - either the amp or the cable or the pch...

I can get sound if i don't select raw in the setup menu. This comes through my amp as "hdmi passthrough". That rules out the cable. I can get dd or dts via optical.

Witters, can you post the settings exactly as they are shown in the PCH audio menu please?

What type of sound are you trying to output, and from what file format?

Witters, can you post the settings exactly as they are shown in the PCH audio menu please?

What type of sound are you trying to output, and from what file format?
I have hdmi set to on and dd/dts set to raw. I have no sound from anything i play. That's dd 5.1 or dts from media or dvd files.

Is HDMI audio set to stereo or 5.1 in the PCH menu?

Ok I'm getting stumped on this one, sorry not much help!

This may sound like a silly question, but have you set the PCH up on a new input on your Onkyo? If so, have you set the audio to HDMI on this input?

Any help much appreciated - good or otherwise!

I have checked and re-checked all settings. I can get sound if i don't select raw in the setup menu. This comes through my amp as "hdmi passthrough". I'm assuming that's just 2 channel sound. I can get dd or dts via optical.

Any help much appreciated - good or otherwise!

I have checked and re-checked all settings. I can get sound if i don't select raw in the setup menu. This comes through my amp as "hdmi passthrough". I'm assuming that's just 2 channel sound. I can get dd or dts via optical.

Ahh hang on, now this rings a bell. What's the video set to?

A lil suggestion (bear with me on this).

Change your video to 1080p/60 (if it's on another setting).
Change HDMI audio to off
Surround to stereo

ALL of the audio options at the bottom to PCM/analogue.

Hard power down the PCH.

Power back up and change everything back, then try the files again.

Don't get your hopes up too much, I doubt it'll work, but worth a try (I do recall having this problem too but can't remember if it was just related to TrueHD).

When i press power & delete to shut it down nothing happens?

Do you have the PCH with the power button on the back? If so use this to switch it off :)

Tried but no difference. Do you have the latest firmware on yours Smurfin?

Found it:

General
Complete name : F:\TV Series\Bones\Bones 4.12.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 1.09 GiB
Duration : 43mn 6s
Overall bit rate : 3 628 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-01-23 02:46:34
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.3.0 ('Freak U') built on Oct 7 2008 20:39:59
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Muxing mode : Container [email protected]
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 43mn 4s
Bit rate : 3 027 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 3 177 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.137
Writing library : x264 core 65 r1037tw
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=3177 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 43mn 6s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Just so I understand this right. You have the PCH connected by HDMI to your Onkyo 805 amp. And you also have an optical cable from the PCH to the amp as well? Have you definitely done the AV input assignment to tell it to use whatever HDMI input you're using with the AV input you're selecting? Have you got an audio button to cycle through the audio inputs (auto/hdmi/coax-opt)? Sorry if these are daft questions but I had a nightmare tying up all the hdmi and optical inputs to the correct device on my Yammy amp, it's a bit confusing (for me anyway!). Just make sure if you're e.g. AUX1 on the amp that AUX1 is using HDMI1 (if your PCH is connected to HDMI1) if you get what I'm saying. I doubt it's a hardware problem , it'll be something daft (these things usually are). Hope you get it sorted mate

Maybe this will help (taken from mpcclub forum):-

'Hello,

I have an Onkyo 905 & a popcorn 110 connected thru HDMI only.
With this config, I am able to have ALL the differents audios codecs on my Onkyo.

But you need some settings on both the Popcorn & the Onkyo.

Popcorn has all the audio settings set to RAW + DTS HD RAW.
You mut have an HDCP TV compliant connected to your Onkyo with HDMI.

Then on your Onkyo, you need to setup the Video signals coming from an HDMI.
AND you need to setup the Audio signals coming from an HDMI.
You need to see this as two differents settings.

You will need to say to your Onkyo to which HDMI input is connected the Popcorn.

Check you user manual.

For example, Here are the steps I did on my Onkyo, I know that the 605 do not have the same menus than the 905 have but it might help.

Let's take an example.

Popcorn is connected to HDMI input 2 of the Onkyo.
Your TV is connected to HDMI out of your Onkyo (this will give the hdcp signal).

Goal: once the Onkyo VCR button is pressed, you want the sound decoded on the Onkyo & see the image on your TV.

How to do it ?
Go to the Onkyo Menu, and select submenu HDMI input for the VIDEO.
Assign hdmi2 to VCR entry
Go to submenu Digital input for the AUDIO.
Assign hdmi2 to VCR entry.

Finished.

Hope this can help.'

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Thanks Andy - i have already assigned the inputs on the amp but still get no multi-channel sound over hdmi. That's why i currently have an optical cable as well.

Thanks Andy - i have already assigned the inputs on the amp but still get no multi-channel sound over hdmi. That's why i currently have an optical cable as well.

Again, sounds silly, can you unplug the HDMI from the PCH and plug it into a bluray or DVD player, and just confirm that you get sound?

You have tried it without the optical cable I assume? You shouldn't need it that's all. It's a weird one, not sure I can be much more help but I'm sure someone will come along and sort it out. Good luck

I've sorted it:clap:

There is a setting deep in the menu of the Onkyo for toggling hdmi sound via it's output to the tv on or off. It was on so i turned it off. Voila - it now works. I have no idea why it makes a difference because my blu-ray player, ps3, xbox 360 and everything else i have ever connected all worked with it set to on.:suicide:

Thanks for all your help fellas. It's much appreciated.

Glad you got it sorted mate, now you can start enjoying your PH!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom