1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound from NTL to amp-what to do?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Elmo76, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Elmo76

Elmo76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had NTL installed as I can't have Sky at the flat I'm in. I've been given a Samsung set-top box but it has no means of carrying sound from it to my amp. I've been informed by someone at NTL that this may be the case for all the boxes.

Can you please, please tell me if there is any way of carrying sound from NTL to my amp?

2. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if there are indeed no phono plugs (Red and White) at the back and all you have is the scart cable (which carries the sound as well as the video) going into the TV then you will need to take the sound back out of your tv and into the AMP that way. That is, if your TV will allow that.

On my TV I [used to] take the scart out of my cable box and into the back of the TV (AV1). This would carry the RGB video signal plus the sound. I would configure (using the TV controls) one of the other scarts to output sound only so i could feed it back into my amp (scart to phono connector).

3. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you have a single scart you could get a scart to phono cable and take the sound to the amp that way with the picture being fed to the tv

Or if you have 2 scarts like my ntl pace box you could use one for audio and the other for RGB picture which gives better quality

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Elmo76. Simply tell them you have a high end audio-video setup and you would like one of their set tops that has phono out. You are perfectly entitled to ask. I have one of their Pace boxes (I am actually with Telewest but the kit is often the same.) They have no good reason to deny you and don't take no for an answer. If you know someone else with cable, check their box and make a note of its type, then tell them you want one of those. Remember, their is no guarantee a customer services bod will even ever have seen a set top box depending on where they live. ;)

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The older Pace boxes certainly do have phono connections - I have one sitting in my TV room which NTL have supposed to been collecting for the last 2 months.

The Samsung boxes are the newer ones (and by all accounts better) and I am surprised that it doesnt have phono connections as I am 99% sure I have heard others talk about theirs and it does.

The best option would be to go for the 2nd option suggested by Prism666 - connect the 'TV' scart to your screen to enable RGB picture and get a scart to composite cable and connect the 'VCR' scart to the AVR (red and white cables - yellow is video and can be ignored as RGB is significantly better picture than composite)

6. fred the ted

fred the ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's NTL cheapskates omitting the phono out sockets on the Samsung to save a couple of quid.

All you need, however. is a scart/phono break out cable adaptor you can buy from Maplins cheaply.

NTL engineers usually have them but you have to ask.