Question No sound from extra speakers over 5.1 with Atmos

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Robhex, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

This will probably require a Marantz owner/user to answer if possible please! Basically no sound from extra speakers over 5.1 with Atmos

Marantz SR7012 - latest firmware
    Sony UBP-X800 - latest firmware
    6.1.2 setup (5.1 plus top middle left, top middle right, 1 x Surround Back speaker)

Atmos sound issue:

I like to think I'm fairly technical but I may have missed something here, hope anyone can help:

No sound comes from my TML or TMR or SB speakers when setting the sound to Dolby Atmos.
    I get 5.1 basically and it sounds fine.

When I set it to Dolby TrueHD/Neural:X I get the sound from everywhere no problem and it sounds great but this is basically 5.1 TrueHD with the extra channels processed out of that for my heights and SB channel.

The receiver shows it's receiving Dolby Atmos and the speakers that it should be playing sound through are showing as highlighted but nothing comes out of the extra speakers I have which is just really odd.

I've tried different discs and even a different Blu-Ray player! I even set the TML and TMR speakers as upward firing Dolby specific height surround speakers (turned my SB speaker off too) in the menus and they tested fine but again, no sound from those 2 speakers with the Atmos setting when playing the discs!

Do I have to settle for Dolby TrueHD with Neural:X...it sounds better than Atmos from 5.1 speakers by far but I'd rather have Atmos from 6.1.2 to at least hear what it sounds like and have the choice!!

Thanks for any help here...
    Rob.

image (2).png image (3).png

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,709
    I take it that on running Audyssey the Atmos speakers did emit the pink noise for calibration. Looking at your screen shots you have correctly configured for Atmos.

There is a misconception that the Atmos speakers will come alive with sound. Unless that information is encoded within the Atmos metadata then you'll hear nothing. It's only when the Atmos channel is called upon will you hear anything at all. Some Atmos enabled films are notoriously short of overhead effects, American Sniper being a prime example.

There are plenty of films that produce good Atmos effects, Mad Max Fury Road, Everest and 10 Cloverfield Lane are good examples. The latter is a good example as when the overhead effects come into the soundstage they really are above you, yet for the bulk of the film you think the overhead effects are virtually zero but there is the constant throb of the air conditioning that surrounds the listener. Yet for that effect your ears are never drawn to the overheads, but it's there. It can be so subtle on some films.

You could turn the levels up maybe by 2dB. The number of people who are disappointed by Atmos is considerable simply because they are expecting far too much.

3. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your great reply gibbsy. If anyone could highlight a certain scene maybe with sound that definitely (with Atmos) emits something from either height or surround BACK then that would be great! I have Mad Max Fury Road, Hunger Games, John Wick etc. on Blu-Ray, any particular bits? I really don't think I'll get anything but I'll give it a go.

Honestly, there's zip coming out from my speakers at the moment with the scenes I've tried. I put my ear to the cones and nothing at all. I set it to use the Neural:X instead and it's amazing, the difference is night and day, well there's a lot of good quality sound coming from every speaker with Neural:X and chuff all in Atmos...

I think I'd have to turn the levels up 100dB to hear anything and that would be just white noise LOL. I may just turn it up 10 to see if I can though!

Peter Tyson online have said they'll take it back and replace the receiver but have also said my replacement may do the same thing which is interesting. I'm going to ring Marantz on Thursday as they suggested as I got nowhere with emailing them unfortunately. They blamed my cabling or my source etc. but I reckon it's either faulty or a firmware mess up...

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
  5. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +924
    Blade Runner/Blade Runner 2049

6. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,638
    The Great Wall near the end when they are walking along the tunnel to the final tower/building.
    They are getting picked off from above and you can hear the monsters scurrying above them.
    This was one of the first films/scenes where I really heard overhead Atmos sounds.

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,709
    If you've got any Game of Thrones Atmos encoded box sets or can borrow either of the last two series it is jammed full of good Atmos effects. Anything with the dragons involved. The episode Battle of the Bastards, the actual battle is superb.

8. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again for the replies guys!

Razer, I'll be trying those tomorrow on my day off, great stuff thanks.

John7, thank you for that suggestion. I have both on Blu so I'll have a look at those but any particular bits you know of that have sound coming from specifically the Surround Back or height speakers?

Thug, you bought The Great Wall... Just kidding haha, thanks though, I'll check those scenes out tomorrow and stick my head up next to the height speakers!

Gibbsy, thanks again, I've got a few GOT seasons on Blu, I've still not watched them yet! Great excuse for me to watch them with the wifey who isn't so keen!! Not sure if the ones I have are Atmos but fingers crossed, I'll check later after work...

Do you guys (with more than 5.1) listen with Dolby Atmos then or do you switch to the DTS Neural modes as they put more sound through the other channels? For me it sounds much richer when more sound is coming out more speakers (as the quality is still very high) but I haven't done any thorough testing of that. Atmos does sound good but only sounding like it's coming out the 5.1 it seems a bit, well, crap...compared to the Neural:X!

I'll definitely post back with any results and after speaking with Marantz too tomorrow. Cinema room testing day, I could think of worse things to do ;-)

Cheers all again,
    Rob.

9. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,638
    Speaking on Game of Thrones, when you start a new series at the very beginning of the disc it shows an ice cube/box being formed. This is great in Atmos.

10. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I love it when then they have the little Dolby intros! Cool!
    I bet there's a thread on here somewhere about the best Dolby intros on discs...
    Anyone remember the Dolby or DTS train intro that was on some DVDs some time ago!?
    Cheers Thug.

11. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,709
    Most of the films I've got that are not Atmos titles are in DTS HD. With these films I use Neural X and reading between the lines in many threads on Atmos it may be fair to say that upfiring modules such as my KEF R50s are better with Neural X employed over inceiling speakers. Some DTS films can sound amazing and certainly breathes new life into the listening experience. One of my favourites is the series Black Sails which takes on another dimension with Neural X.

12. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,638
    Yes, that was great, but I also liked the one where it showed a computer graphic of helicopter going through a city, that was amazing too, where it came from behind you and then in front as it went left to right between the buildings.

13. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Not a Marantz owner but one thing that has tripped up Yamaha and Denon owners is switching on the metadata processing for Atmos. It's called 'object decode mode' on my Yamahas.

That's assuming the speakers are all connected up and working (try 9 channel stereo for a basic check).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  14. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Re. demos, you'll love audiosphere once you get Atmos going.

15. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thug: That helicopter scene was awesome, I remember it starting of with a nice "squeal" and then wubba wubba wubba wubba as the blades rotated. Oh yes, got to find that, it'll be on one of my early DVDs probably! Do you remember which discs it was on?

Thanks again Gibbsy for that info. Unbelievably, this morning, with the same San Andreas Blu-Ray disc from the same Sony X800 player I now have sound from SB and TML and TMR with Atmos. WTF? Firmware update snuck in during the night somewhere? Mental.

I made one change in the settings yesterday that I can remember but nothing changed yesterday but it was powered off last night though:

In the "amp select" section under Audyssey setup I changed it from 9.1 to 11.1 but there are 2 reasons why this wouldn't make sense if it fixed it:
    1: 9.1 is still the correct setting as chosen by the original Audyssey setup as there are only 9 amplification channels (the 11.1 is the setting for when you want to Pre-Out the extra 2 channels over 9.1 to a power amp)

AND

2: Neural:X was working fine from all the channels

Maybe this is a firmware glitch with the 9.1 setting...

Thanks for all your responses and I'm looking forward to testing the scenes you've suggested in Atmos now :) Hurray!

Basil (my cockapoo) and I can now enjoy some quality Lassie movies in Atmos ;-)

Just have an SVS sub on test at the moment that I need to swap around with my Velodyne at the back as it overlaps the screen at the bottom before anyone giggles!

IMG_3881.JPG

16. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Supersonic, I'll have to Google that to see if I can find what it's called on the Marantz.

Cheers,
    Rob.

17. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just looking at Audiosphere now thanks Supersonic!

18. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Yeah, without it set, my RX-A3050 defaults to TrueHD / DTS-HD. Neural:X mode fires the ceiling speakers but it's creating the sound itself rather than decoding the Atmos or DTS X.

My kids love Audiosphere. It what rainbows sound like, apparently!

19. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Where is the object decode mode located, I have the 3060 and will check.

20. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,709
    That's nothing! It was hard to beat the BBC black and white test card. We had to sit and watch for hours. And hours. And hours.o_O

21. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,638
    Was that the one with the girl, doll and chalk board.
    I loved the video but the tune wasn't up to much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  22. Robhex

Robhex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LOL

The AudioSphere and Horizon demos are great thanks SuperSonic...rainbows eh :)

23. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    It's on p.131 and p.140 of the manual, and Setup/Sound on the system itself.

Honest!

24. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    You got me thinking of Vivian recording the dot so he didn't have to stay up!

God I feel old now.

25. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    ye it’s enabled by default, I thought it was something additional to that. Senior moment.