No sound from DVD-R disc. Why?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by finnis, Sep 22, 2004.

1. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Recorded some prgogrammes using Sky+ which I transferred to DVD-R for a work colleague, using Panny e55. Works fine on my machine and my other Panny player. Picture is fine when playing in her machine, but there's no sound. She has a Goodmans player, I think.

Any ideas?

2. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just found this when I've recorded some stuff off sky onto +R. Plays back fine on DVD Recorder and on PC, also plays back OK on my Yamaha player connected via scart to TV but no sound using the same Yamaha player connected to my Plasma via Yamaha Amp.

I wonder whether this is something to do with the way the sound is recorded which doesn't then play back via digital only sound connections.

Drives me mad.....

3. Zedmeister

Zedmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could be something in the playback settings. The E55 encodes audio onto the disc using Dolby Digital 2 channel. Any player then playing back the disc must be set up accordingly to either pass the audio as a bitstream to an external decoder (amp) via the digital output or decode it itself and pass out the decoded audio either via PCM on the digital output or analogue audio via SCART/phonos.

You'll have to further investigate her setup to find out why, I guess.

4. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. Had a feeling it must be her setup as it works fine on my setup and I've also done some DVD-r recordings for my dad a few times and they've worked fine. He does have the same panasonic player as me, though, so I guess it would work!