Question No Sound from atmos height channel

ryanwhincup

Novice Member
Reaction score
Any ideas anyone?

I've recently upgraded to the new denon avc x8500h, i'm currently running a 7.1 system and had an old pair of dipoles lying around doing nothing so i thought i could use them as atmos height channels while i save up for my next upgrade to 7.1.4. I've managed to modify them and got them on the ceiling, that's where the issues started.

After checking and double checking the wiring I thought that the speakers may be dead as i've not used them in a while, I hooked them up to the rear channels and they where playing sound with no issue, next I thought maybe the speaker cable i'd bought might be faulty, I wired up the ceiling speakers with the cable from the rear channel still no sound, the amp is less than two months old so i'd hope there would not be an issue with the channel itself.

I've never used an atmos system before so totally new to it, i know a dipole is not the best speaker selection but i thought something may be better than nothing and it gave the old speakers something to do rather than gathering dust, might be an obvious fix just stumped me, and help is much appreciated

Have you set up the amp assign options in the Denon? You need to change the settings and speaker configuration to match the new arrangement.

Thanks for the reply, yeah i've tried that also did a full factory reset and didn't get anywhere, i have managed to get them working tho but not on the height 1 channel instead i've assigned a pair of front height speakers and a rear height speakers but only hooking up the rears, no matter what i do i cannot get sound from either left or right height 1, not a fix but a short term solution until i can get to the bottom of the problem, think maybe i need to give the retailer a call.

** FIXED **

After speaking to denon over the phone they advised me to do a factory reset and run the set up again, low and behold the height channels are all working now.

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and would be glad for your help. I have just added Top Front Height and Top Rear Height speakers to my Denon AVC-X8500HA and no matter what I do, the Top Rear speakers do not receive a signal. I have tried EVERYTHING including swapping cables, swapping speakers around, factory reset and factory firmware reset, NOTHING works! It is very frustrating and I have asked my dealer who has not been able to provide a solution thus far.
All my cables and speakers are brand new and tested ok. The Top Front Height Speakers work but the Top Rear Height Speakers do not.
Many thanks for any advice you can give!

Have you tried taking the top rear speakers off and connecting them to say front L?

In the Denon menu have you enabled the right configuration?

Have you tried taking the top rear speakers off and connecting them to say front L?

In the Denon menu have you enabled the right configuration?
Many thanks for your suggestions. I have tried connecting the top rear speakers to top front terminals and they work. There is no problem with the speakers or the cables, Anything connected to the top rear doesn’t work. I have also ensured the amp assignments are correct. I have tried various assignments and nothing will activate a signal to the rear height 1 and 2 connections. I have also done the various recommended factory resets, the result is the same. I have been in touch with my dealer who cant figure out the problem either, he is just waiting to hear back from Denon to see if they have a solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom