No sound from 5.1 when watching TV/Freeview Box

jonford

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. Firstly sorry for posting this as I know there are tonnes of threads about it online. However, I cant seem one that matches my criteria.
I have just bought a new Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET61B TV. I have also bought the WT230 Freeview HD+ box.
Before I bought these, I had a 7yr old Sharp TV and a Topfield PVR. I connected an LG 5.1 Surround sound/combined DVD player to both the box and the TV, allowing me to watch DVDs in surround sound and also the TV in surround sound.
I have now connected the new box to the new TV via HDMI (HDMI input1).
There is no input connection possible from 5.1 to the freeview box so the HDMI from 5.1 is going straight into the TV (HDMI input2)
I can watch DVDs/USB input on the Surround sound in 5.1 as normal, however, it wont produce any audio or video when I select HDMI input2 on the TV and select "TV Audio" on the DVD/5.1 player. (this used to allow me to watch the old TV in 5.1). Even when watching the "TV" input and having the 5.1 selected to "TV Audio", there is no sound coming from the 5.1 (but audio/video as normal from the TV)
Please can you advise if I am missing something. My connections purely are:
Freeview HD Box to TV - HDMI via HDMI Input1 connection
5.1 to TV - HDMI via HDMI Input2 connection
It seems there is no way to connect 5.1 to Freeview as the freeview has no inputs

I must be missing something (hopefully)
Any advice would be appreciated
thanks

problem solved. Used the Scart-HDMI adapter and plugged surround into AV1 input. Now got surround on DVD and Freeview box

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom