Question No sound for some files - is this an issue with my receiver or my media player?

tvb0y

Novice Member
I'm using a Popcorn Hour A110 to play my media, and my sound system is connected to an Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver. Usually it works great but occasionally I'll try to play certain files and there will be no audio (even though if I test them on my desktop PC the audio is fine). This happens with things like TV shows ripped from Amazon (with their "EAC3" audio type), FLAC never works, and sometimes TrueHD works and sometimes it doesn't. Since the A110 is really old I was planning to upgrade to the A500, but I realized I don't know if the issues are with the A110 or with the receiver not handling those types of audio, in which case I'd want to upgrade the receiver as well / instead. Does anyone know which would be the problem?

dante01

Distinguished Member
EAC3 is basically Dolby Digital Plus. The A110 should support this as should the Onkyo TX-NR626. I'd suspect the way in which the files are being encoded to be the cause of your problems? Likewise, both the Popcorn Hour and your receiver support TrueHD and 24/96 FLAC.

tvb0y

Novice Member
How is the A110 connected to the amp?

I'll double check when I get back from work but I'm 99% sure it's optical.

EAC3 is basically Dolby Digital Plus. The A110 should support this as should the Onkyo TX-NR626. I'd suspect the way in which the files are being encoded to be the cause of your problems? Likewise, both the Popcorn Hour and your receiver support TrueHD and 24/96 FLAC.

I don't think the files are encoded incorrectly because they seem to work fine for other people, and they also work fine on my PC.

I'm not sure why TrueHD works sometimes and not other times. Here is an example of what MediaInfo shows for one that doesn't work:

Format : TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 23 min 43 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 3 456 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 spf)
Compression mode : Lossless
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

As for EAC3 I don't remember it even existing (or at least being used much) when the A110 was made (if I recall correctly I got it almost 10 years ago) so I assumed it wouldn't have been made to support it. Here's an example of the info for an EAC3 track that doesn't work:

Format : E-AC-3
Format/Info : Enhanced Audio Coding 3
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_EAC3
Duration : 42 min 18 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 187.500 FPS (256 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 194 MiB (7%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Regular AC3 works fine though. If both the A110 and the receiver should be supporting all these audio types, is there some setting that I'm supposed to change in order to allow them to work correctly?

dante01

Distinguished Member

Well there you are then. You can't convey formats such as Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD via S/PDIF optical. Use an HDMI connection from the Popcorn Hour to the AV receiver.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Try connecting by analogue, that will tell you whether the source or the amp is the problem. Although FLAC shouldn't be an issue either way.

tvb0y

Novice Member
Well there you are then. You can't convey formats such as Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD via S/PDIF optical. Use an HDMI connection from the Popcorn Hour to the AV receiver.

I changed the optical to HDMI, but the same audio types that didn't work before still don't work, it didn't change anything.

tvb0y

Novice Member
Try connecting by analogue, that will tell you whether the source or the amp is the problem. Although FLAC shouldn't be an issue either way.

I changed the A-110 settings to output Analogue only, and EAC3 works, but FLAC still doesn't. I don't care that much about FLAC though.

So if it works over Analogue what does that mean?

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
So if it works over Analogue what does that mean?
It means the A-110 is successfully decoding the digital input so the issue you have is likely the amp. But I'm still concerned about why FLAC isn't decoded, unless it's hi-res that is outside the scope of the A-110. When I had a quick look at the manual for the A-110 I couldn't find any specs for bit rates, only file types.

You may get more joy asking for the thread to be moved here as that's where the PCH threads live.

tvb0y

Novice Member
It means the A-110 is successfully decoding the digital input so the issue you have is likely the amp. But I'm still concerned about why FLAC isn't decoded, unless it's hi-res that is outside the scope of the A-110. When I had a quick look at the manual for the A-110 I couldn't find any specs for bit rates, only file types.

You may get more joy asking for the thread to be moved here as that's where the PCH threads live.

Thanks, will do. Any idea what could be up with the amp? It should be able to play all those types that it has trouble with.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom