1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound coming from left front tweeter?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rOAdeh, Apr 11, 2003.

1. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

Began to notice my front left speaker wasn't sounding the same as any of the other speakers as i was listening to some music in 6ch stereo, upon closer inspection i couldn't hear anything from the tweeter whereas the woofer appeared to be operating fine.

To me, having read a few threads about blowing speakers on these forums, would give me the impression that it had died. However, i'm just trying to check that it can't be something else that i've done accidentally...

Firstly, it's a Yamaha 630 a/v amp with Wharfedale Rubiance 23s as the mains. I would be quite surprised if it had blown as a) I haven't played anything particularly loud recently (certainly no more than -35db whilst watching Black Hawk Down a couple of nights ago and most of my music listening never goes below -42db) and also i got the impression that either i would hear a 'pop' when the speaker actually blew and/or there would then be some vibration or some other sound given off as the speaker continued to play..

Is there any setting that can turn off high frequency signals to the speakers? I haven't noticed any in my time of owning the amp or could it be due to some of the cabling coming loose? Or anything possible causes?

If the tweeter has blown how easy will it be to get a replacement as afaik the Rubiance range has now been discontinued?

Thanks in advance,

rOAdeh

2. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Are your speakers biwirable, and if so are you biwiring them?
    If yes/no, check the metal connectors between the HF and LF connectors. If yes/yes, check the HF wires and connectors.

If no, then I don't know :). Could be an internal wire dropped off the crossover - you might have to open it up.

Andrew

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also swap the speakers over, if the fault is still with the "faulty" one then it's not the speaker wire/amp at fault.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Also,you could try swapping the left speaker to the right channel of your amp for a test to see if the driver really has blown.

If it has,contact your local Wharfedale dealer and see what a replacement unti will cost....most manufacturers do keep sufficient replacement drivers for some years.

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yes it was just a loose speaker wire that had somehow come loose from the amp that I couldn't see before from just a quick check of the back of the amp and hence me writing this whole post.

Thanks for the help guys anyway.. will let me know what to do next time i get an over zealous friend blowing one of my speakers ¬_¬